1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to ask guitarist about solo

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Mar 7, 2008.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    So I can play 2 octaves below on a solo from a recorded song and it sounds good to me.

I'd like to play it with a particular guitarist but he seems to change the solo. He is talented and well respected but has an ego and isn't used to being musically questioned. I fear if I bring up the change he may get defensive and say "I play it like the CD" (which is not correct). If he says "Yeah I change it", then I'd like to find a judicious was to ask him to show me.

We did the doubling thing before a while back, and he liked it. His comment was "I'm not sure what your doing on a certain section but that's cool (... ahem, I'm playing what the CD is playing :) - I didn't say that but I wanted to)

I could use some guidance here

Thanks

2. me and my guitarist dont have any ego problem so we often sit down and explain each other whatever we are doing incase the other person doesnt understand... anyway i feel you should go ahead and suggest the change if you feel it sounds good to ya man!
    and perhaps you can put it this way later 'hey can you play that lick a little slowly so that i get as i am gonna double it up" i do that more often than not (and sometimes they start considering its one of the coolest licks every played :p )

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Are you afraid of him and/or will he kick you out of the band because you've insulted his gigantic ego? No? Then just ask him - respectfully, of course.

In my experience, people with larger than normal egos are not at all surprised when others "insult" them. But if it's done in the form of an honest question rather than an accusatory statement, they deal with it, shake their heads a little, and move on with no ill feelings, grudges, etc.

4. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I did the "I'd like to double your solo could you slow down for me and show me" thing. He didn't quite understand me (thought I was talking about the verses), then he noodled a bit, playing the solo differently each time while I tried to follow. He seemed noncommittal about it... Mysteriously we didn't play the song in the set.

Times like this make me wonder why we bassists want to be bassists... ugh. At least I shook the place and had fun :)