Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to assemble a rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by betohc, Feb 11, 2005.

1. betohc

betohc

Jan 19, 2005
    hi, well i'm a newbie in this matter and i really dont know a lot about it, i allways play with a rented gk800 in live concerts and practice with a laney combo. know i save some money and i want to try a whole new world, the rack world, but i want to know wich parts should i buy, in wath order and wich are a must have. i really apreciate your help tnx

2. The only real 'must haves' are a poweramp and preamp, the rest is up to you... either one of those you could run with your current head to get you started if you're going piece by piece.

Other elements you might want to add later are probably most commonly:
    A) rack tuner
    B) power conditioner
    C) compressor

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Nicoli is right about the "must haves", but I would add at least SOME kind of GOOD surge protection. It'll protect your gear and allow you to plug everything into one outlet. I use a Tripplite.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Things you NEED to have a rack seup:
    1)A rack case (of course)
    2)A preamp and poweramp or a rackmount head
    3)Some rack hardware (screws and washers)

Additional stuff:
    1)Power condidoner (not necessary but highly recommended)
    2)Compressor
    3)Tuner
    4)Rack Drawer (to keep calbes and such in)
    5)Rack effects

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I think it's essential to have a well designed patch panel on the back of your rack, nothing is more annoying than reaching into a dark rack, on a dark stage, feeling around for a little speaker jack...

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    now that is consice and accurate an answer as i've seen. :D

I've done up to a six space rack (sometimes with an additional 2 space unit). I think good powerstrips, tuners, and compressors can be great. however, i've come to the conclusion i want to keep it simple and portable. right now i can be doing up to 3 practices and 2 gigs a week (when i'm lucky). I finally settled on an unusual combination. i have a poweramp in one 2-space rack and a preamp in another 2 space rack. The back of the preamp rack has space for a regular surge protector, speaker cords, patch cords, etc due to the shallower depth of the preamp.) I can't see myself using more than a 4-space rack again unless i finally make the jump to a tube poweramp, and even then i'd keep it in it's own 4-space case.

7. betohc

betohc

Jan 19, 2005
    i really apreciate your help, now i just want to know wich parts i must buy now, talking about brands pre and poweramp, and i want you to know that i have a really thigth budget.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What kind of music do you play? For rock or metal, you should hurry and get your hands on an Aguilar all tube amp, as they are phasing them out. Demeter also makes good all tube power amps. For a solid state power amp, go for a QSC if you have the budget, but you can get some Crowns from steelsound.com for real cheap, and while they sound just as good they are much heavier and bigger. As for preamps, you should probabally try out as many as you can after settling on a power amp.

9. betohc

betohc

Jan 19, 2005
    tnx i will visit the site, well i play hard core and heavy, but im starting a experiment with some friend to play somo other tinghs, well a problem i have is that i live i colombia south america and here we dont have all the stores that are in the states so i cant try out some power or preamps, thats why i want your help becasue i have to buy trhougth the internet.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What cabs do you have? Or are you getting new ones?

11. betohc

betohc

Jan 19, 2005
    i dont have cabs rigth now im planning to buy after i have the rack