1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to assign value to a bass made from other basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by backtobass, Mar 26, 2013.

1. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Hello all,

I'm looking at what is advertised locally as a Fender Precision bass, but its not. It's a p-bass body, Fender but unknown year or origin, 62 reissue Jazz neck from 1983 MIA (can I assume a "Fullerton"?), and unknown pickups that are supposed to "Sound Great". I don't think there's anyway to pin it down anymore than this. I'm into the color and the fact that its a Jazz neck, what I love to play, on a P body, what I love to hear.

The asking is $600.

This is not the first time something like this has come up. How do you guys come up with a reasonable estimate of worth? In this case would you base in on the neck and then just give a rough estimate of a generic body/ pickups/ hardware?

Thanks for the help

2. madrob

madrob

Aug 22, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Well, I put together a similar bass with a MIM P body and MIM J neck. I got the body and neck used but used new hardware and pickups. The whole thing ended up costing me $600 but I used good stuff like a Fralin pickup and hipshot tuners and bridge.

It seems like your potential purchase could be a good value if it sounds good and plays well.

3. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007
    If you're buying: It's worth whatever you'll pay for it.

If you're selling: It's worth whatever someone else will pay for it.

Other than that, I might check what the individual components sell for on eBay and add them up for the total value if you were to part it out.

4. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    that's a great idea to do the ebay search. I feel like I'd be pretty much buying the neck anyway.