1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to attach velcro to Boss pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrcircle, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Hey all,

I did a search but couldn't find the answer to what may be an obvious question. After playing bass for over 35 years, I'm putting together my first pedal board. I'm starting small with a PT Nano, but two of my pedals are by Boss (TU-2 and CEB-3). Both have hard rubber bases, not just feet, which don't seem like a very secure surface for attaching velcro. I tried prying off the rubber part, but it seems pretty solidly stuck there. What's your experience? Any advice?

Thanks,
    Michael

2. I just stick the velcro to the rubber. Never had a problem.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Same here.

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Ditto.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Just stick it on there bro. I have 2 or 3 on my board right now that have been secure for a couple years at least.

6. Usually, if both surfaces are clean (check with denature alcohol) the stickum on the back should work well enough. If you want to be extra sure, clamp or weight it for a few hours. If you want to be 2x surer, gently warm the glue after the strips are applied before clamping. Do not get even CLOSE to melting anything. Just a little warm to the touch is enough.

7. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Actually, I have the same question, as my experience has been different than previous responses. Pedals with rubber bottoms (especialy those with indents) don't grab the sticky on the Velcro tape like metal bottom ones, and I find that they don't last through more than a couple resets without the stickum separating from the pedal before the Velcro separates from the board.
    I'll admit it would be fine if I never changed my mind about pedal order...
    I'd be interested to see if anyone does anything else. I'm getting ready to redo my board (new toys :bassist: ) and have been thinking about superglue on the sticky side of the tape.

8. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

(Sorry, Mugre, didn't see yours before I responded)

9. I peeled off the rubber bottoms and then put on the Velcro. They come off in one piece. I save them in case I decide to sell the pedal later. I've done this with 4 Boss pedals and never had a problem.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You need to buy industrial velcro, not the crap they sell at WalMart. I didn't even clean mine, just stuck it on there. I can turn my board upside down and shake it. Nothing moves.

11. I would clean the pedal bottoms a bit so they are not dusty or oily/greasy at all. I also fill in the indents, with the writing, with some Velcro or tape to get then to the same level as the rubber, then put the big layer of Velcro over all of it, giving more contact surface for the bottom layer of Velcro.

12. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I'm going to try removing the rubber first, based on Rickenmonster's post. It's not just the material itself but the big indent where the writing is that bothers me. I'll report back.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Try grainger or similar shop for industrial strength velcro tape. It usually comes in greater qty than those marketed for music gear, is stronger, and less expensive. No need to remove anything; the adhesive-back is strong.

14. Some company use to offer Boss-specific velcro...it went around the edges of the pedal but didn't cover the factory bottom sticker itself. I just did a quick 'n dirty Google for it, but came up empty. I'll bet the stuff is still around, tho...somewhere...

15. Fill the indent in with a small piece of Velcro, then you stick the bigger piece over the entire pedal bottom, the under Velcro filling in the indent.

16. Start by prying one corner up with a sharp knife an peel it diagonally. This has always worked for me.

17. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
  18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    IME Velcro sticks to the rubber on boss pedals just fine, and doesn't fall off if I want to move the pedal. I just stick a strip at the top and bottom of the rubber foot which offered enough hold for me.

Digitech however....!

19. gdavis

gdavis

Oct 18, 2012
    I recently did my first pedal board and for the boss pedals I actually got some sheet aluminum from Home Depot and cut out new bottom plates. That wasn't too bad, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my TS-9.

20. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    +1

On my Boss ODB-3 I was able to place a small strip of Velcro in the center indented part of the rubber pad, and it stuck pretty well, even (or because of) the sticker. For Digitech (regular & Hardwire) and Behringer, I had to remove the rubber.