1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to avoid getting ripped off on the internet

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Jugghaid, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Good suggestion.

bassmeknik likes this.
  2. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    Is it safe to give your checkings account number + routing number of your bank to a stranger so that he can wire the money directly to your account when you sell a bass?

Especially when the buyer is in a different country, it is easier for him to use a wire transfer than mailing a bank check to you.

But,I just don't know if it is safe though. Can someone potentially take money from your checkings account if they have the account number and your name?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't do this. It is another way that people can access your account. They can post a withdrawl with this info, and it will look totally legit. Have them send you an international money order, and then you know it is good. It has to be paid for before it can be sent, so it's value is there. A check can be stopped. Always go with money orders if you are not sure, they are probably one of the safest ways to do a transaction, and remember to let everything clear first.

4. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I agree. Use an escrow service.

5. bass4him1

bass4him1

Sep 28, 2004
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Does anyone use paypal?? They seem to protect both parties

6. pnoytrekie

pnoytrekie

Sep 14, 2004
    never been ripped off so far...... most of my purchases are off ebay.

7. pnoytrekie

pnoytrekie

Sep 14, 2004
    yup... it offers some form of protection.... i think.

8. drewby9000

drewby9000

Mar 31, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    Not an appropriate use of the For Sale forums or this thread. Go post about it in the Feedback Forum.

9. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Amazing, Someone is currently using this scam on me! They also insist you to send the money via Western Union as soon as the "cashier's check" gets deposited. They even offer to give you compensation for being inconvenienced!( $100 in my case) This person also never even asked the condition of the bass! What really cracked me up is that the person claimed she was an older lady from Chelsea England (buying a Stingray 5!!) and "her" e-mail address was maryjohnson@dbzmail.com. That's "Dragonball Z mail!! I saved all the e-mails. If you guys want I will post them here so you can see ezactly what to look for.
    BTW I posted my ad on bassgear.com not on TB.
    From now on I am only dealing with you guys.

Peace

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  11. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've received two attempts to scam me in the last 2 days.

The first:
    Followed by a second email from him:
    The third party thing got my attention at first. I mean, he could just walk down to any bank here and get a US funds money order. It would be exactly the same as a Canadian one except for US dollars. Also, in my reply I said I'd take $2300 CDN for the bass and from the reply email he obviously didn't know what CDN meant. Also he has a friend in the state... I'm not in the US, which he must not have understood from the bassgear post. Plus, no one in Canada speaks like that.

Then the much more obvious scam:
    Well, that's one's pretty obvious since the bass I'm selling isn't a Warwick at all. It's a Rob Allen. Also $7000 check... (alarms go off).

Maybe someone can use this to recognize something if they get sent a scam.

12. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    To add, if you are going to pay with credit card over the internet many of today's credit card companies allow you to make a temporary card for online purchase. Since i have MBNA I will use that as an example. On their website I can log into my account and goto ShopSafe. That allows me to create a temporary credit card number. I defined the spending limit and expiration time (minimum 2 months for MBNA), they spit out a number. That way if someone does steal your number on the internet you minimize your losses.

13. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    IMO, reading through some of these scam emails sheds some light on how awkward they sound and ultimately how fishy they smell. :eyebrow:

Mmmmm. yes jedi The balance you will send.

Friggin Yoda is trying to scam us out of all our gear. :)

14. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I just bought an Allen guitar amp off of Harmony Central classifieds, and was a bit nervous. I arranged with the seller to send half of the payment via USPS money order, then he'd send the amp, then I'd send the rest. That way, we were equally splitting the risk of getting ripped off. Worked out great, only downside was that I had to pay for 2 money orders and 2 priority mails.

15. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    It always scares them off that I tell them I'll cash the check and keep the tip. They never seem to write back after that.....

:D

16. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I guess I'm lucky that nobody has tried to scam me (knock on wood), or maybe I'm too cautious. But how does offering more money for what something is worth a scam?

I'm assuming either their payment does clear, and the bass is shipped before and it never comes back. Or is this some sort of money laundering scheme? Where they just give you $2000 to send them $5000?

17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It can take a while for fake money orders/cashier's checks to be detected--legally, your bank has to make those funds available to you within 5 days, but it can take them weeks to find out the MO/CC was bogus.

The ONLY reason anyone is going to offer you a payment like that for way over what something's worth and ask you to sent to difference back is to scam you.

See these Tips for Fake Check Scams: http://www.fraud.org/tips/internet/fakecheck.htm

Mike

18. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

Sometimes I opt not to sell gear via eBay. If I have something for private sale (not through eBay) and I'm not going to be seeing the buyer face-to-face, I offer to create a "buy-it-now" auction on eBay at the amount we agreed upon. This can increase the comfort factor for the buyer.

For stuff I'm buying that's not listed through eBay, I'll often request they create a buy-it-now auction, provided the other party already has an eBay account with a decent amount of feedback, all positive.

I believe we're less likely to be scammed this way, since eBayers don't want to have bad feedback. The downside is that you have to pay eBay a seller's fee, but that can be built into the price for the mutual "protection" by eBay.

It's worked well for me so far!

Chris

19. hey i just want to say thanks heaps for all this information!

i had been drooling over a bass that was on ebay. i was really keen to buy it, and sometimes that gets in the way of good judgement. It was all just a little bit fishy. the guy had all positive feedback, but only 6 or something, all for buying (things between about $500 and $2000). he was fairly slow to answer his emails and simply didn't respond when i asked for some additional photo's and information. Also, he would only accept payment by check or money order, which i found a little strange.

Anyway, i happened upon this thread just in time. I requested the sellers information from ebay then downloaded the Argali program that jugghaid mentioned. used the reverse phone number search and subsequently found that the number the guy had registered didn't actually exist. i even double checked, searching for his name in the state he said he was from, and the guy doesn't exist!!

i'm so glad i came accross all this info at such a crucial time, because i was starting to talk myself into buying it anyway. It's a lot harder when you really want it!!

so, thanks so much to jugghaid for all that awesome info, i really appreciate it!

like brad johnson said, if it smells funny, walk away. i came way too close to losing a serious amount of money.

THANKS AGAIN!

over and out,
    andy.

20. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Glad to help bro. A good rule of thumb for anyone is "If it doesn't feel right, don't do it....walk away."