1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to avoid getting ripped off on the internet

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Jugghaid, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm kind of new to the on-line purchasing thing. So I need help with this situation. I've been wanting an effects pedal that is no longer being made. It just so happens that a member of TB PMed me about a new (unused) pedal that he found in his country, Taiwan. He said that he bought one, sold one to another TBer just recently and has offered to buy it and send it to me. He will make some money off the transaction, but that's OK in my book. He mentioned paypal for payment, but we haven't gotten into any detailed discussions. (At least not until I just read this thread).

Question: How do I protect myself across borders? If I send him the money, and he doesn't send the pedal or sends a broken one, do I have any recourse?

He seems to be a nice guy, but everybody's a nice guy when they want your money.

2. Ive had experiences with buyers trying to get money out of me. I sold something on ebay and the buyer said that it was broken. I told him I wanted to go through UPS to get the damage insurance but he came up with some BS. Then I asked if he could record it to show the problem. No he doesnt have acess and wouldnt download a free program. He then tells me the preferable situation would be for him to get it repaired and have me pay 75 percent of the cost. Everytime I sell on ebay now I just have a no refund policy. Other places I might refund if they could prove it was my fault.

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Yea, I wish I knew how that works. I just got ripped off for the first time here. Thank God it's only $25 for a set of strings, but I've been promised them since 11/5 when I paid via paypal and keep getting "they went out..." "Sorry about the delay, they went out..."

I wish there were a way to resolve disputes here, but I know that's asking too much.

4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Hey. I'd like to add a comment to this post I made last year. The TB member I was commenting about was Mingustoo. He sent me the effect with no problem. I'd deal with him again if the need was there.

5. cat_s

cat_s

Apr 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    All good advice. Thanks! The links are great info!
    I want to add one more thing, (at risk of sounding like Obi-Wan)
    Trust your instincts.
    If a deal starts to make you jittery, or just doesn't feel right, :meh: don't be embarrassed to back out. Chances are good that you are responding to subtle clues that you just aren't thinking about.
    I've regretted a number of deals that I went through with against my instincts, just because I was too embarrassed to say "this doesn't feel right" and back out while I still could.:(

6. cat_s

cat_s

Apr 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Disappointing to hear that it happened hear. Who was it? (in case he/she is dumb enough to try the same thing again under the same user name) Sounds like could be a flake not than a deliberate rip off -imo- (Flaky musician? No way ;) )
    Not that that makes it any better. You still got burned.:bawl:

7. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    the nigerian conterfitter strikes again.

got 2 money orders, $850 a piece today, (supposed to be for $300 total)

when i called the guy to ask what was going on he was like "oh, they must have put an 8 instead of 1, just give the extra to the pickup guy"

i ofcourse was like f that, cus i know how this stuff goes down. so i contacted the police, who contacted the guy the money orders were in the name of.
    some poor guy in CA who got his identity stolen.

the thing that actually sucks is i missed a chance to sell my gt 6b so someone because of this :(

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just wanted to add to this:

READ THE AD! Don't blame the seller because you couldn't read properly...

9. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Also, if you want insurance, make sure and ask for the item to be FULLY insured. I lost out on $150 because a bass that I bought was only insured for $500 and not the selling price of $650.
    Jonathan

10. Jerkk

Jerkk

Apr 14, 2008
    Does anyone know where i can get some? i have a mesa power house 1000 and need the casters, but the site wont let me post an ad for whatever reason idk help me out!

11. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

What's this post doing here?

12. i got one of those emails a while ago when i was selling my cello gig bag on craigslist. the thing is, they offered to give me $300 when i had advertised it for $50. they must be getting pretty desperate...:eyebrow:

13. basswalker2004

basswalker2004

Jun 22, 2008
    thanks for all this great info.. I was just going to try and sell some gear on the TB classifieds for the first time and saw the sticky.
    I will be super cautious.

14. Just thought I'd throw this in the mix: I almost got scammed the other day by someone basically offering a Mac Pro worth well over £3000 for £500 on gumtree.com, and was supposedly going to do the deal through ebay. She, in the end, wanted my full name, ebay ID and postage address. It seemed legit, so I sent out my full name and ebay ID (and not the address). I explained that if she correctly set up a BIN acution that she would get my address with it. She replied asking for the address, and I again said that she would get it with the ID, and I havn't heard from her in a god few months now. ust to flag up another method of scamming that seemed legit :D

15. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 GNSRZRSKNVS Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    You live in Singapore you ****ing idiot. Its going to take awhile. When your **** comes I bet you don't come on and apologize.

16. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    PHL
    Oboy...
    o_O

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Is there a blacklist of TB users who don't fulfill their part of a trade or sale agreement, who, in other words, rip people off?

18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

just check their FEEDBACK before dealing ...
    :cool:

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Yea well unfortunately I'm the first to give this guy a negative rating. Does TB boot out users who abuse classifieds/rip off others?

20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

wow , sorry to read about your bum deal ...
    you might want to PM a moderator { they're listed next to each category } and see if maybe they could help you .

hopefully both of you can work something out ...

peace ,
    dave