Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to avoid wolf tone problem with tapered strings, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by permadave, Mar 7, 2005.

1. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    On my Pedulla I have an issue with weird double tones high up on the neck. Does anyone have any insight onto which tapered strings do not cause the overtone, or wolf tone, problem described on other posts(if in fact this is actually the cause of the problem)

I really prefer to have have tapered strings Non-tapered strings work fine on my bass but I don't like them as much and my bass is currently set for tapered. Its also possible that since the non-tapered strings sit higher, its a pickup height issue.

Suggestions?

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I like Ken Smith taperwounds - been using them for years. You might give 'em a try. :bassist:

3. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    As a side note , I'm going to try and lower the pickups to see if that makes any difference. Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow and post the results.

4. it depends on the pick ups. i know that some pickups (i.e. EMGs) are have less magnetic pull and will not effect the vibration of the strings. my emgs on my spector are realyl close to the strings (i use regular wounds) and everythings fine.

as for which brand. ive tried DR Long Necks and Labella Super steps and had problems with them. im starting to think some basses just arent compatible with tapers.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    TaperCore (a Smith Trademark) Strings sit lower on the bridge saddle and not on the bottom of the regular diameter of the windings. Once you switch from regular type strings to Taper type Strings, you have to raise up your Bridge saddles to where the strings are as high off the body as they were before. You may also have to re-cut your Bridge saddles if the String is rattleing in the slot. We call the problem you may be having "Magnetic feedback". This is because the strings are too close to the pickups now and the Magnets are pulling the String as you press down and play. It is most noticable when you play higher up the neck/fingerboard.

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Wow - Love those strings Ken! :D I use TCRMs on all my Fenders, fretted & fretless. I switched over to them about a decade ago & recommend them to anyone who asks. Keep up the good work. :cool: