How to be an Ox?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by whomod, Aug 27, 2001.

1. whomod

Aug 27, 2001
    Im new to this board, and I'm happy to be here. I've been playing Bass for about a year and a half, and I'm pretty good(quick learner). But unfortunately I'm not yet good enough to listen to a song and play the bass line. My favorite bass player by far is John Entwistle, and I'd like more than anything else to be able to play some of his songs. Does anybody have any Tabs or know where I can get some Basslines to Who songs(that are actually right) Im looking for my generation w/ solo, the real me, and whatever else you can help me with ( I already know Boris, but thanks anyway). It would also be great If you guys could give me a couple of tips on sounding like Entwistle.
    Thanks a lot..........DA
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think you can still order the back issue of Bass Player Magazine that has the My Generation solo in it (I don't know what year or what issue right now). Also, I believe Entwistle made an instuctional video for StarLicks (I've never seen it). That's about all the Ox info. I have...
  3. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I can approximate his more recent sound this way...this is tough to describe in words...I place my right hand over the end of the fingerboard, between the 17th and 24th fret, using the edge of the fretboard as a thumb rest. Rather than the plucking the string with a finger motion parallel to the fretboard (the usual way) I hammer down on the string OVER the fretboard with the tips of my fingers, in a motion that's perpendicular to the fretboard. It's sort of like slapping, but using finger tips instead of the thumb. The string will slap against the frets giving you a very metallic sound. Add some chorus effect and a little distortion and you're good to go.

I know he used a pick as well as fingers on the early Who recordings, so you might have to experiment to get the sound you want.

The only way I learned to figure out bass lines was by doing it over and over and making lots of mistakes. It's not something I picked up overnight. One thing I was taught, that really helps, is to put the bass down and listen to the bass line carefully a couple of times. Hum it to yourself until you've come close to getting it. Then you pick up the bass and try to play the line in small sections.