How to become a bass virtuoso, make your living playing music, get cool gear, etc.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IvanMike, Apr 26, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so lately i was thinking about how i'd like to be a better player, make my living playing bass etc.

i was reminded of a story i heard a long time ago about something else, so i'll modify it to be relavant to bass.

one day a player is talking to a successful bass pro who makes a full time living in the music world. the player is frustrated and tells the pro that he has a "burning" desire to be a great and successful player. the pro smiles and takes the player wading into waist deep water in a local lake. being a big guy, the pro dunks the player into the water and holds the struggling unfortunate under for three minutes.

when the pro lets the player up the poor guy is gasping for breath and finally asks "what did you do that for?"

the pro smiles and asks, "what were you thinking about while i held you under?"

the player says, "AIR! that's all i could think about. i wanted it! i needed air! i had to have AIR!"

the pro grins and says, "now THAT was a 'burning desire'."

sure, innate talent, connections, luck, etc all have their place. however, all the cats i've known who were successful at anything have been pretty driven, persistant, and focused.

i think i'll quit whining and start practicing. ;)
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Great story :)...I need to practice.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Seemed like it was going to be a "don't wank" lesson. I was surprised, but pleased nonetheless with the actual outcome.
  4. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Wonderful story... This is very true ...I learned to never go into a lake with a pro musician... noted:)