1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how to become a better bassplayer

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, Ive been playing bass for about maybe seven years playing in concert bands and jazz bands. And until recently I havent really played in many other bands or wanted to become a great player. Over the years I develped pretty good fingerstlye but now I want to learn slap better( like double thumps and left hand slaps), I want to learn tapping, and music theory. Over all I want to start learning about these techniques and music theory so I can become a monster player and have monster chops. So could you guys help direct my where to go and any instructions if you guys have them. and to save you guys any typeing even though it would be good to recommend me a teacher I dont have one avalibile in my area when I took lessons for a year from a guitar player and I didnt learn that much.

2. If you can't find a bass teacher take some music theory classes at the local community college.

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    can kids still in highschool do that?

4. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Well one of the nice things about the internet world you can get online lessons now. Music Dojo is one, Gary Willis does online instruction now and then. Cliff Engel at the IIB does online lessons http://www.cliffengel.com/. There are probably more if you look around the internet.

5. Music Dojo is great. Adam Nitti teaches there and the man has the most freakish combination of incredible chops and knowledge of theory Ive ever seen. Sure there are some guys who know theory and some guys who have crazy chops but nobody has his combination. Taking a private lesson with him and doing master classes with him produced more ah-hah moments in one weekend than i had in my playing experience before then. PLus you can take a free 2 week trial. You get interactive lessons 5 days a week. You post soundclips of the matieral and they analize it. You get to keep accessing the material even after the lesson period is up. Its a great thing.