How to become a wholesaler

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkyDom, Jul 30, 2004.

1. FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002

This message is mostly towards all the business fatcats out there, thought I'd see what I could find out.

Anyway, over the past couple of months, i've been seeing those fancy ipods going for fairly high prices on electronic marketplaces and I thought to myself: "Gee, I sure would like to sell a couple of them and make myself a few pennies."

So I was off, like a bright eyed youngster, on an e-mission (not emission; Electrionic Mission) to find out where I could buy some of these fancy products in bulk at cheap wholesale prices. Then it hit me like a bus: I didn't have the least idea where to look. I tried an online source called Alibaba, but I only seemed to find scammers. I have since backed away from this frivilous persuit and realized that it was a silly get rich quick scheme.

However, becoming a wholesaler is definetely something I would be interested in after my schooling and I was just wondering if I could get some tips on how one would get started. Do you contact the company direct to ask for them, or do you contact a middleman who caries a variety of products, and how would you find out who is a middleman for the product your looking for? How is the payment arranged, how is the product shipped out, how do you find customers? I want to know anything and everything.

If your a businessperson and you can tell me anything, you'll be forever remembered.

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If you're talking specifically about Apple products, you need to buy through a reseller. Apple does all but the largest (or most PR worthy) transactions through two channel suppliers. I believe Ingram Micro is one and I don't know who the other is. Another issue is most Apple resellers have to get certified in order to sell Apple products.

You will need to get a state Tax ID# and/or reseller permit. These will show you are a real business to wholesale dealers. It also saves you from paying sales tax when you purchase items for resale, since you should be collecting sales tax from your customers.

Call your state's Dept. of Revenue Services (or visit their website if they have one) for more info on the Tax ID.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'll tell you right now that that is an extremely difficult business to get in to. If you are going to do it, then you better do some serious research. Simply getting quick advice here is not going to cut it. There are tons of resellers out there. If you want to succeed, then you will need something that sets you apart from the rest.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Like free heroin with every order.

brad cook
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, that would work. :hyper: :D
  6. Sonorous