Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to beef up my EBS combo? Powered subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junglebike, Jun 10, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Back again for some more advice:

I play Tune Bass Maniac 4-string basses, fretted and fretless in the 6-piece band Holiday

We just had a CD release party with about 200 people. We're playing at San Diego's Del Mar Fair in front of thousands on Saturday... our gigs are getting bigger and I'm thinking about expanding my amplification system.

Right now I've got an EBS Taurus 240W 210 combo. It's heavy as hell for a combo (~70lbs), but it's only one box, and I love the tone. I'd rather not sell it, 'cause EBS stuff is kind of undervalued here in the US. It's a very midrangey box, very punchy but not too much low bass. It's EQ is *very* good, though, and I can get just about anything out of it if I boost the bass a bit.

BUT... it started to fart out on the low notes at our CD release party.

I don't hear much talk about people using subwoofers. The EBS has an active crossover (variable frequency) and a sub line out, so I could use an active subwoofer with it.

1. Anyone do this?
    2. Can one buy an active subwoofer for bass?
    3. Or, do you just use a separate amp and bass cab (I'm thinking 15")? At this point, it seems like I should go with separates for greater flexibility...

Sorry this is so long. I look forward to your responses!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

EBS see things differently from most manufacturers.
    All their combos go full range and you can't add additional cabs.
    On the side, they sell active slave cabs, with integrated power amps.
    Some are fullrange, some others subs.

[​IMG]

3. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, I had heard that EBS sells active subs (hence the sub out on the Taurus), and I know I can't power another cab with my combo.

But it's hard to find EBS stuff here, and I'm broke so I gotta go used. Chances of finding a used EBS active sub cab are 'round about zero -- I doubt there are 10 in the whole country.

4. Sounds like a good plan - a 15" speaker and a 200 watt (or more) power amp. You can find these for dirt cheap on the used market. For some reason, 15's and power amps have extremely low resale values. I would gess the speaker could be had for $100 and the amp for $200.

5. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Cool -- thanks for the suggestion! Any brands to recommend? I need a ~200W power amp to power some monitors anyway, so that could work out well...

6. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    How about using a powered Mackie subwoofer. They are great speakers, they are cheaper than EBS and they are not hard to find.

7. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Those mackies look like they're a bit much (weight, power, PRICE!!!), but the idea seems to be right on, so I started looking for an active PA sub. Check this out:

Yorkville NX200s

What do you think?

8. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Warwick sub looks cool, but retail is over $1k, and it seems like it's only available (or at least only popular) in europe. Are europeans (and brits) the only bassists who use active subs? Weird...

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've done sound on a small PA that features the 15" version of this sub - it was incredible for the size. It had a matching powered 10" mid-high for each sub, so the whole PA fit on the back seat of a sedan - but if filled a pretty large room and the kick drum sounded surprisingly big. It was every bit as good as the Mackie.......

I don't know that the 10" version you linked us to would cut the mustard though......

The problem with these active subs as bass rigs is that they're almost always bandpass design. Meaning that the speaker isn't firing in the direction of your ears or the crowd. Instead, the speaker fires it's sound into a seperate chamber with the sound escaping via the porting. I'm not saying it sounds better or worse, but it does sound different - some people like it, some don't. It makes the sub very efficient in the band in which they operate, but it means they have a fairly narrow frequency response.

10. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    thanks, petebass! I've heard really good stuff about the Yorkville PA stuff...

Wish I coud try one of them out! Theoretically, if I'm just using the thing as a sub, crossed over at, say 150hZ, it shouldn't matter too much where the sound comes out 'cause bass is pretty much non-directional at that level. My hope was that an active sub could allow me to preserve the character of the EBS cab, but augment the bottom and take some of the strain off the woofers.

And yeah, I don't know if 200W into a 10" will help that much, but I guess it does double my power, and bandpass is very efficient... I'll work on finding a dealer...