Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to best clean gold hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Indi86, Nov 10, 2005.

1. As the title says: The gold plating on my Fender FMT Jazz's tuners has pitted/bubbled a bit. What's the best polish/cleaner/method to clean this up

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I don't have a good answer for you, but be careful. If you decide to try any type of polish/compound/solvent test it first. I managed to turn a gold bridge chrome once by using the wrong type of polish.

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I use napatha. More commonly available as Zippo lighter fluid.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Most of this stuff is actualy a base metal, with a very thin gold coating - if you work too hard on it - you'll just succeed in rubbing it off!! ;)

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I bought a 82 p-bass special that had badly pitted gold hardware, I got a can of "Gibson guitar polish" and it removed all pitting. This can be bought at most music stores.

6. Yeah, I know it's just a thin plating level. I'll try to pick up that gibson guitar polish. There's a couple of gibson dealers I can get to- I'm sure I can find it easy enough.

Thanks TB.