1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to break in new flats faster?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DionClassic, Oct 14, 2013.

1. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Hi, I just got some new chromes and was wondering if anyone has any tips for making flats sound broken in without playing them for at least 6 months (I know that's typically the way to do it, I am just curious if anyone has a strategy to fast track the process)

Thanks

2. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Woodshed those things. Also eat greasy food and practice without washing up first.

3. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Right grease and oil sounds like a plan

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If or works let us know. I'm getting ready to slap a set on my new (to me) P5.

5. Get a set that don't need "breaking in" ?

GHS or LaBella. :D

6. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Actually I planned on picking up laBellas but they were fresh out and honestly I had strings on the brain and I was leaving with something no matter what. Besides, I have some chromes now that I've had on for about 1 year on my ric and they honestly sound ideal (for what I'm looking for... McCartney type tone)

Just sick of the clankiness I'm getting right now haha

7. I love LaBella flats, but they still need 2 or 3 months before they "break in" and really start to thump IMO.

8. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Has anyone ever tried detuning and retuning them many times?

I have a theory: if you detune them a little, then bring them to pitch slowly, and do that many times over a period of a couple days, they should break in faster.

Breaking strings in is essentially fatiguing them a little over time, correct? How about speeding that up a bit?

9. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    It's worth a shot as long as it doesn't wear out the tuning machines aswell

10. What is this impatience I see with people wanting to break the strings in so fast? Just play the damn bass. It's not gonna sound horrible in the few months it takes to break them in.

11. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, personally, i just smash a window or two. Though if its on a higher floor you'll have to do it through the door somehow.

12. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Using the three B's is the answer.
    Bacon, butter, and beer.
    After consuming a six-pack or more of your favorite suds submerge eight to ten rashers of bacon (Farmer John ultra thick is recommended) in a vat of melted butter and then smear it all over the bass. Remove the battery and the control cavity cover and stuff them with the used bacon. Then take the bass out to the back yard and lay it in front of the doghouse overnight.
    If you have fewer than three dogs tell your neighbors that Muffy is having a sleepover and get a couple extra tongues to work with.
    That ought to do it.
    You may substitute tofurkey in place of the bacon but it is best to stick with real butter.

Jones64 likes this.
  13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, well life is full of compromises, right?

(haha)

Right. In the grand scheme of things, what's an extra three months to break in those strings the right way? Especially since you'll probably play that same set for years? :eyebrow:

MM

14. Just roll the tone knob back a little farther than normal.

15. Sorry, that's not the optimum technique where I live.

Bears just LOVE bacon.

16. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I did a trick that JimmyM told me about.
    I soaked the strings in Eucerin Creme.
    Let them sit overnight then wiped them down then soaked them again went to work then came home and wiped them down again and strung them up and played.
    It will not make them sound like a few months of being broken in, but it takes the zing, clack, bright, etc. out of them and really helps to tolerate them till they get played more.
    I too hate new flats and always try to find used ones on here.

17. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    I read in the newspaper that bears are becoming quite a problem in Lake Tahoe. Apparently they are no longer fearful of breaking into homes and cabins in search of food.
    Waking up with a bear in the house would be interesting to say the least.
    Did someone say holy crap your pajamas Batman?

18. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Honestly, I don't really mind waiting, just thought I'd check in with talkbass to see if there was a quick fix. Thanks for all the input, just played her with some oily fingers and the clank is gone at least

19. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    All I use on my 5 basses are LaBella nylon tape wounds

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I need to know where you are so I can show up with beer and bacon. (Uh....... no need for the butter.) :D