Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to build an elec. upright....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jongor, Feb 1, 2004.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I did a search here and didn't find much info....

I'd like to try and build and electric upright similar to a Kydd type bass. It doesn't look too complicated, it looks like a 2x4 with strings on it. :smug:

I know it won't be that easy though....

I've built-up several Warmoth basses so I have a good idea how to setup a bass, but this would be a different animal.

Has anyone tried this?

Any good resources for parts and construction?

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's easier than building a BG, so if you've built on already it's not that difficult.

I don't remember the specs/scales I used off the top of my head now (it's been about a year? since I built this), but check out www.mimf.com for detailed information about upright bass building. UB scale is approx. 42", and I can measure the widths of the bridge and the nut (they are 'standard' for DB).

The neck/fingerboard are all maple (from Home Depot no less), the body is poplar with maple caps, and the bridge is made out of some leftover wenge I had laying around. The tuners are Gotohs pulled off an old Fender jazz 5. The strings are Super Sensitive (tho not the ones in those pix.. I forget what those are :confused: ).