Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to build bass cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Mar 29, 2002.

1. dont have a clue as to where this belongs so mods move it if it ain't in the right spot...

i was just thinking about building a set of bass cabs prolly a 4x10 and a 1x15or 18...

anybody have any knowhow or books or websites i could go to so i can figure out if i want to do it my self or get a pre made cab......

thanks ya'll....

:D :) :cool: :p :p

2. Dude, I have the exact same questions, I posted a topic like this a month agao but nobody ever responded. george@diluted-reality.com is my e-mail, we could shoot ideas, and info back and forth if you want.

3. The problem is, these kinds of questions are posted all the time, so the answer to the question is: do a good search first, and if you have more specific questions, people will respond.

I guess the speaker experts around here (I'd like to think I'd qualify for that) are a bit tired of typing the same answers all the time.

4. Yep.

:D

There is a wealth of detail in the archives and on my site. Very few choose to use it, though. I have more than 1,200 files on my site for public access. My spreadsheet is a wealth of information about drivers, amps, basses, and other stuff of interest to musicians.

I suggest anybody interested in building should take the initiative, dig out the information that is readily available and learn it. Those who want to be spoon fed will be ignored. It gets old, responding to questions such as "why is there air" or "what driver do I need" or "which is better a P or J". You know what I mean. This is not meant to be harsh, or directed at anybody in particular.

The way to learn this stuff is to read. Immerse yourself in all the past threads. TalkBass is very well designed and there is a LOT of information and discussion here. Saturate yourself and you will learn. If you don't have enough interest to start learning on your own, nobody will have any interest spoon feeding you. But.. if you are learning and can post an intriguing question, you will get a vigorous response and debate. There is a big difference between "what driver do I need" and "how does Vas affect cabinet volume."

Cabinet building is very involved, especially vented boxes, and not something to undertake on a lark. It is easy to spend a lot of money and have a cabinet that is both unattractive and sounds like crap. Most players are better off buying a cabinet they can first audition. Those who build, general do so for very specific reasons.

5. Yep.

:D

Bgavin's spreadsheet is really something. In a freaky, almost nerd-ish kinda way. Which is good :D

6. whenever i search it errors everything in my explorer :/

7. It's an Excel 2000 spreadsheet.

Download it, and if you do not have Office 2000, get the free Excel viewer from Microsoft.

8. gobi

gobi

Oct 29, 2008
    where do i find the bgavins spreadsheet?

9. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    +1 But the challenge is proportional to your woodworking experience the availability of at least decent tools and, above all, patience - first to figure out what's really important about what you are doing, so you don't create a nonstarter (a cab with sonic or practical flaws that make it useless compared to the effort and expense) - and second, the patience to follow whatever instructions, plan or direction you are following fully. I took on cabinet building as a newbie a few years back. There's a ton of resources to look through to educate yourself. Search TB and the web - you won't have trouble finding decent advice out there. Box design programs are available as freeware and pretty easy to use.

The first couple of cabs I built had one problem or another that made them less desirable than store-boughts. After I learned a few lessons, I built several that get significant use today (I never really got good at lightweight construction, so they all weigh in the BagEnd range).

Eventually, the significant time investment cooled my interest. You can save some money - true. But you are really substituting sweat equity for cash. Plus there's a very real risk that you'll create something that doesn't work for you and you have no way to sell it (or even sometimes give it away). I have two rather large cabs on casters in my rehearsal space with speakers and crossovers stripped out of them that I really appreciate because they provide usable table space for mixers, power amps, set charts, laptops, beers, etc, but not much else...

Good luck ;)

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Google 'speaker building'? The current number of links is 2,020,000. :rollno:

11. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    At the top of the list you'll find Bill's website. Many satisfied users here on TB and over at his forum. Check it out.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

12. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    if it's such and often asked question... and you guys are tired of telling people how to do it, why doesn't someone make a sticky like there is for ohms and such?

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I think the OP has moved on to other things since March of 2002. :D

14. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    He hasn't posted since 2005, so I doubt he'll even know he's being bashed. :p

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There has been one in the Amps FAQ for at least a few years running: Cabinets - Building your own - how, why, pros and cons.

16. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    well there you go. didn't realize that was there... and i guess others haven't either.

since it's there, a nicer thing could be

"take a look at the FAQ sticky... it's covered there."

rather than an asnwer with some sort of emocon that basically says your lazy and/or stupid. or simply don't answer if you don't want to.

[edit] i am not editing my original post. but i just read it (after i posted it) and it could sound as though i'm typing it with an additude. i'm saying it with humility and just asking for some kindness to be shown to others.

17. stef

stef

Jun 19, 2006
    After building 10 bass cab, Here is what i ve found and what you re looking for: the omni 15 tallboy. THE best bass cab on the planet. i built 2.

www.billfitzmaurice.com

18. A couple of months ago, i bought a 4x10 off a guy on craigs list. I played on it in his garage with my firebass700, and it was louder and clearer than anything else i'd used b4. I opened it up at the studio and found 4 eminence deltas! Only thing is I couldn't find a site that had the cab (4 rear ports- 'bout 4 inches ea.). The seller thought it was an aguilar, but was not sure. Anyone familiar with who makes a cab similar to this and, if so do you think these are the original woofers? I play with 2 guitarists using a marshall and a mesa triple, but this cab still cuts beautfully. I don't even use my 15 anymore, but I want to be sure the cab/driver is the right match. ...Thanx:bassist:

19. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Its one of the two. Or both. No harm in calling it like it is.