Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to buy a bass for the first time? Advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kawaeegirl, Feb 15, 2005.

1. I have been playing bass for about 9 months now. Im going to get a bass soon. (Hammond Ashley) I have no clue how to tell a good bass from a bad one. Also, I have no clue what a reasonable price is! I feel so lost... because there are so many things to think about in getting an instrument. what strings... what it looks like..
    How do the other bass players feel about a hybrid bass? Im going to play bass in seattle youth symphony and jazz band and in college. So I need a good bass... but I can always upgrade when I need a better one... Price range Below $4,000

THANKS!

2. With that you can either get a top-of-the-line laminated/plywood bass or the beginnings of a carved body bass. I personally like the carved body basses because they ring more and can be opened up further, but in my opinion, the lower end ones aren't as the louder, more durable plywood basses. There really isn't any bad choice you can make except for picking a bass that doesn't sound good to you with $4,000.

That's my 2c.

You may want to not spend the entire $4,000 on the bass and rather get a $500 bow and a $3500 bass. (HA is where i got my bass btw.)

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Teacher / Luthier / Put your hands on as many basses as possible and figure out what you're looking for.

4. Have you gone through all the NewbieLinks at the begining of this area?

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    You can get a New Standard for that budget, or an old American Standard if you can find one. Both plywoods but top of the heap. The hybrid New Standard would be worth it for 1k more. If I were new in the market for a bass with that kind of money in hand, I would take some quality time and do some thoughtful shopping. Take a bassist friend along to hear/play so you can play/listen and absorb their knowledge.

Ike