How to buy a bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassit, Sep 14, 2005.

1. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    1. GuitarCenter: if you buy a bass online from GC, you will lose chance to make a choice.It seems many persons buy it online.
    2.local shop:You may try every bass,but lose chance to choice the band you like.

so please tell me how do you buy a bass usually?
  2. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Personally I prefer to try everything before I buy it, so buying stuff online is not for me...
  3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Play as many basses in as many stores as you can.
    Then you will know what you like, or at least you will have comparisons if you buy a bass you haven't had a chance to play.
    Buy local if possible
    Buy online if there is a good return policy, or it's cheap enough to be worth the risk.
    I've bought from online stores, friends, pawnshops, ebay and Guitar centers. They all have thier merits, It's just a question of taking the time to find out what you want and then doing what it takes to get it.
  4. xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    well what i did is, i found one in my local music store that i liked then went online anf found it for 80$ cheaper and bought it there advice test befor you buy
  5. narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i bought a tele (not a bass, but the principle is the same) from, but only because the price was amazing, no stores carried it, and fender was stopping production. but you have to be careful, cuz it would suck to end up with a bass you didn't like.
  6. MikeM

Apr 21, 2004
    For any production bass made of wood i am going to want to hear it before i buy it. If its your first bass and its something like a Ibanez I would probably buy it online as you will not be able to hear much difference. The people that are crazy are the ones buying 70s fenders on ebay some of them are great and some are canoe paddles.
  7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
  8. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I only buy online if its a brand that is known for good if not great quality control like Musicman, Lakland etc. Brands like Fender and oh yeah, Fender I like to try before I buy because some can definatly suck.
  9. Even though when one buys online, it is not set in stone how the instrument will sound, I tend to be of the mindset to get the bass that looks like the best buy because there are so many basses to choose from online. Playing many basses will help, but sometimes you've just got to be good at knowing what you like in a lingual sense, and then trust that the seller is explaining the intrument correctly. This means finding out about the selling and blah blah.

Online is a little easier and can be less expensive and a better bass if done right.
  10. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    thanks everyone, I will try some fender in local shop,then maybe buy a standard jazz from gc, who knows? anyway, your advise is helpfull! :hyper: :bassist:
  11. Lalala

Sep 15, 2005
    The Netherlands
    The answer is really quite simple, if you're intending to buy a cheap bass you might as well buy it online. There's no point leaving the house for something you already know is a cheap piece of @#$* If you're really intending to buy something with a little class I would advise you to go see your guitar dealer. I got lucky with my Aerodyne, I stubbornly insisted on getting the pickguarded one and had to order it from the UK. I took a day off from work on the day it got in because I was kind of worried about how it was going to sound as I hadn't had the chance to try it out first
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll buy anything online if the price is right, could probably flip for a profit or at least minimal loss if I can't return it. More of a no pain/no gain type thing. On the other hand, in a store, I'll play anything that catches my eye, and if it doesn't speak to me, put it back. Ignore brand names and just play through a rig you're familiar with. If you like the tone but the feel leaves something to wish for, ask the clerk to do a quickie setup. At least that'll put you in the ballpark. If it's a high dollar item, you may even request that it be restrung and fully setup before you decide.