How to buy a secondhand Modulus Q5.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Hi,
    I believe I've found quite a deal - a Modulus Quantum 5 with EMG's for almost $900. I'm going to meet the guy either this weekend or next week to try it out.
    Anything special I should think about since I've never tried one before.
    He said in an email that i could by it for a week and see if I liked it and if I didn't I'd get the money back. Of course we would write a reciept so there would be no missunderstandings.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yup, sounds like a sweet deal. It's very cool that you get to try before you buy. You'll be able to see the playing wear... I assume you'll get to plug it in, also.

As for the less-than-obvious: make sure playability is good. If action is too high or too low, see if it can be adjusted to your preference. Just keep in mind the 35" scale... many find it a bit more difficult to play than 34". I did at first, but adjusted to it easily enough.
  3. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Sweet deal. As long has it plays and sounds fine for you, keep it. What color?
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds like a good deal. If it plays and sounds good to you, I would jump on it.
  5. Thanks for the replys so far!
    The color is black and I don't know if it's got a truss rod yet.
    I bought a Peavey Cirrus 4 in october (i think) 2001 and I got used to the 35' scale right away so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've seen that there are neckthrough quantums. How does that work? Do they have the carbonfibre through the body with the wood on each side?
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If you are used to the 35 on your Cirrus, then the Quantum will be perfect for you.

I have seen pics of the neck thru Quantums, and it looked to me like it is a graphite neckthru with the body wood on each side. I don't believe Modulus has made the neck thrus for a few years now, IIRC. Of course, I could be wrong on that.
  7. I tried the bass for the first time today and it both played and sounded really well. The strings were about six years old and it sounded really good anyway.
    As soon as I get my Spector NS2000 sold I'm going to buy this sucker.

This particular specimen had a neckthru design. The guy who is selling it told me it was about 15 years old (in almost perfect condition!). Are there any drawbacks with the neckthroughs according to that they aren't manufactured anymore (or are they?)?