1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to care for a satin finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kronos, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm about to receive a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5'er, and this will be my first bass ever with a satin or flat finish.

Normally, for all my basses, I use Meguiars polish to shine them up, but obviously with this type of finish, that's not what you want.

Also, I know that after time, the satin finish wears and you get shiny spots.

Does anyone here know how to properly care for a satin finish, and how, if possible to eliminate the chances of shiny spots, or how to bring back that satin feel without sanding and refinishing?

All of your help is appreciated.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    *bump

Anyone?

3. Best bet is do not wax it unless the manual says so. Best person to contact is the maker to know what they recommend for their compound. Most everyone I've seen says do not wax, but then martin will have you wax their satin finishes with their "special polish". No idea what this 'special polish' really is but my guess is a lot of non active ingrediants.

Regardless, satin is relatively easy to take care of. You wipe clean with a damp cloth and then wipe with a dry cloth for the gunk and sweat build up.

If the satin wears thin, it wears thin. Not much you can do except sand refinish as u stated. You can not play the guitar or wrap it in saranwrap if you don't want to ever sand. Enjoy the new bass. Might get others advice in forums like "setup and repair" or something like that.

4. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    A combination of your sweat and the rubbing action of your arm, etc. on the bass will eventually polish up those areas of the satin finish on the body of the bass, e.g., under the D and G strings if you are a slap player; the more you use the bass the quicker these will develop. To slow this down, I would agree that you should gently wipe the bass to remove the sweat and other gunk after use, just don't "polish" it. As and when these shiny areas develop, and they will, you can restore the satin look by rubbing them with an appropriate grade of wire wool, just don't go mad. Ask in the luthier forum what grade of materials they would recommend.