How to chain my ME50B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mara, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Hi guys,

I just bought a Boss ME50B multieffect. I'm a bit confused where to put this in my chain. The chain goes like this at the moment:

Bass--> preamp in ---> effectsloop out --> compressor ch1 in --> compressor ch1 out --> compressor ch2 in --> compressor ch2 out --> effectsloop in --> preamp out --> poweramp out --> cab.

(compressor ch1 in --> compressor ch1 out --> compressor ch2 in --> compressor ch2 out is daisychained so that ch1 is the compressor and ch2 is the limiter).

Any suggestions?

2. bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Bass - ME50 - Amp (pre-power). You don't need any compressor, than the one built in the boss.
  3. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    The thing is that I rather use my dedicated rack compressor/limiter than the one in ME50B...

Any suggestions?

4. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Also, I'm intending to use the ME50B only occasionally. How could I plug it in so that I can bypass the SansAmp RBI and compressor/limiter in my rig?

5. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Sell the gear in your rack on Ebay, like I did!

I love the bass>Me50b>amp set up as there is less that can go wrong.

All that's left in my rack is a pair of paramtric EQs and my Ampeg SVT3. The EQ's may go as well.
  6. There's really no way to do this. If you bypass the RBI, then you don't have the gain to properly drive a poweramp. The ME-50B doesn't have the juice (I don't think). The GT-6B has the juice because it has onboard preamp controls. You might be able to get some sound, but you need some gain control before the power amp to drive it fully.

I think the only way to do what you want to do is to use an A/B/Y splitter box which will allow you to use just the ME-50B, or just the RBI/Compressor, or All of the above. Guitarists do this all the time when using different amp combinations. But, like I said, I don't think the ME-50B has the gain controls you'd need to drive the amp.

With the synth stuff available on the ME-50B, I think it should go Bass - ME-50B - Compressor - RBI - Power amp. You could always go Bass - Comp - ME-50B - RBI - Power amp, but that adds one cable going back to the rack.

Also, depending on how much compression you really need, you may find the ME-50B's is pretty adequate for most situations.