1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to Change Dot Inlays at Home?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by doktersprode, Sep 28, 2008.

1. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a 2006 MIM Fender P Bass, with 6mm clay dot inlays.

can I swap these out with basspartsresource.com's 6mm PEARLOID dot inlays myself?

or do I need a luthier? :help:

2. Paul K

Paul K

Aug 15, 2006
    I've done it myself with side dots. If you're handy and don't have a heirloom bass, then just get some dots and a brad-point drill bit. Go slow on the drilling; even consider doing it by hand by just twirling the drill bit in your fingers. drop of superglue, and you're done. Buy the dots that glow in the dark.

You can do it with a regular drill bit as I did, but I'd hold out for the brad point bit instead. In either case, make a starter hole by tapping a nail at the center of the dot so that the drill bit doesn't dance when you start drilling.

3. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So I just destroy the clay inlay then?

Sounds about right. Thank you. :)

4. DudeWheresMy182

DudeWheresMy182

Jun 23, 2004
    Milwaukee
    you sure theyre clay? i dont think that they do those on the MIMs, im not sure though...

5. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, its a flat off-whiteish, and its from '06.

I'm pretty sure?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not clay, but a synthetic dot made to look like clay. Clay's a very expensive material to use and doesn't last as long as synthetics.

But yes, the new ones can come out just about the same way.