How to change the jack?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rusty, Jul 17, 2004.

1. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hey guys!

I really didn't know where else to put this question... so if it's in the wrong place, please move it :)

My jack has been giving me a real headache for the longest time... it's loose - so everytime the cable connector moves, it gives out this awful crack/pop sound.
    I've been wanting to change the jack, but I really have no idea how to do it... :help:

2. OK, we need more info...
    What kind of bass is it? What kind of pickups, are they active (do they use a battery)? What kind of input jack, the type that goes through a pickguard (like a Fender P-Bass), or the long ones that go through the body?

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    It's an Ibanez SR900 with AFR p/j pups and active pre.
    The jack goes through the body at the side :) Hope that clears things up...

4. OK, it is probably a jack like this one (see link)

Input Jack

Not a big deal to put a new one in if you are good with a soldering iron, screwdriver, and plyers or small wrench. 3 wires to deal with, just remember what color goes where. When you cut the wires, leave a small amount left on the jack so you won't get them mixed up. Your local guitar shop should have the part or one very similar that will work, probably about $10.00 to $15.00 total. They come in gold, chrome, and black.
    If you need more help or can't find the part I can get it for you! :hyper:
    Contact me at: sotn777@aol.com

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

5. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Thanks for the info (and the offer ;) ) I'd take it up if I wasn't halfway around the world from where you are :D

6. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    the ibanez btb series of basses use the NEUTRIK jack.the grip is stronger than the usual jack that most basses are fitted with.