Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to change the jack?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rusty, Jul 17, 2004.

1. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hey guys!

I really didn't know where else to put this question... so if it's in the wrong place, please move it :)

My jack has been giving me a real headache for the longest time... it's loose - so everytime the cable connector moves, it gives out this awful crack/pop sound.
    I've been wanting to change the jack, but I really have no idea how to do it... :help:

2. OK, we need more info...
    What kind of bass is it? What kind of pickups, are they active (do they use a battery)? What kind of input jack, the type that goes through a pickguard (like a Fender P-Bass), or the long ones that go through the body?

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    It's an Ibanez SR900 with AFR p/j pups and active pre.
    The jack goes through the body at the side :) Hope that clears things up...

4. OK, it is probably a jack like this one (see link)

Input Jack

Not a big deal to put a new one in if you are good with a soldering iron, screwdriver, and plyers or small wrench. 3 wires to deal with, just remember what color goes where. When you cut the wires, leave a small amount left on the jack so you won't get them mixed up. Your local guitar shop should have the part or one very similar that will work, probably about $10.00 to $15.00 total. They come in gold, chrome, and black.
    If you need more help or can't find the part I can get it for you! :hyper:
    Contact me at: sotn777@aol.com

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

5. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Thanks for the info (and the offer ;) ) I'd take it up if I wasn't halfway around the world from where you are :D

6. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    the ibanez btb series of basses use the NEUTRIK jack.the grip is stronger than the usual jack that most basses are fitted with.