How to chart

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Ok, I've played for a long time, but am FINALLY getting serious about playing, and this coming Wednesday I have an audition for a blues band that has a lot of people talking in the Portland area. Our styles of music seem to be a good fit, but today the guitar player (leader) told me "bring something you can chart on". Now I now a little on sight reading, but I just haven't ever done transcription. What can you experts tell me that might give me a good idea how I can walk in and not completely show my inexperience on this?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Blank music notation sheets?
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It may be that you're not talking about musical notation as such...?

So, when somebody says "chart" - to me, it usually means an outline of the "form" of the tune - that is : 4 bars of Bb7, 2 bars of Eb7 ...etc. etc.

If so, blank notation sheets with added barlines - say, 4 bars a line is easy to read - may be useful - but you can use any kind of blank paper really - ruled staves can help, but aren't essential if it's a "chart" of the chord progression , rather than a fully-written "part".
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You can grab a PDF file giving you blank manuscript paper from various places on the Internet. The one I normally use came from At most rehearsals, I've take a few sheets of this in my music folder and a sharp pencil. You can scribble words and chords on it but it is handy if you do want to notate a particular riff - you just need to write it clearly enough to read back sometime in the next few days, at which point you can transcribe it more neatly.

I also take a minidisc recorder with me. I actually take most of my notes using that and write them up later but it's all part of being prepared and making the most of rehearsal time.

5. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
  6. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Gotcha. I admit to being a little rusty on my sight reading/theory, but that's definitely doable. Thanks, Bruce.
  7. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I appreciate it! Saves me a trip (and $$$) to the local music store!

8. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you where a real me:rolleyes: would grab a cocktial napkin and your girlfriends eyebrow pencil and chart it with nashville numbers.....:) 1 4 1 5 2 6 1
  9. the_luke

Jul 3, 2005
    I bring a whiteboard to rehearsals/auditions/jams. Great to quickly note the highlights of a song.