1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to check for faulty equipment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CalLum, Dec 10, 2006.

1. CalLum

CalLum

Dec 7, 2006
    I've ordered a new bass and amp of the internet and its arriving in a few days time. I want to know how i can check if it's in full working order, or broken (faults need to be reported within 48 hours of recieving the item). How would i go about doing this. This will be my first bass so if you reply with technical jargon i won't have a clue lol. By the way the only other items i have is a tuner and a cable.

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Well...the non-technical-jargon answer is to just plug everything in and see if it works. :)

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Since you won't know what you are looking for, I'd take it to a guitar repair shop and make sure a tech can look at it in your required timeframe. Tell them you have it on approval and to give it a once over, including checking for bad frets, trussrod adjustment, bridge adjustment, any electronic issues, whatever else he thinks is important. Have him estimate any work he'd recommend, and make up your mind from there. Count on paying him for about 1/2 hour of his time.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That seems a bit extreme for a beginner to take a first bass to a luthier for a major checkup. The important thing is to plug it in and test all the knobs and switches and features and make sure nothing crackles or isn't working. All the stuff about setup and bad frets and whatnot you do after you decide to keep it or not.

What kind of bass/amp rig is it?

5. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    as far as the amp goes the only really distinguishable thing is that it should not sound all muddy and distorted (unless you have an effect on). If it does that might indicate a blown speaker. But since its all new its probably going to be alright as long as you hear what you are playing from the amp without it sounding too painful. As far as the bass goes theres not much in terms to be bad that won't be obvious on opening it (like a huge scratch accross the entire body, etc).

Oh and welcome to talkbass,

David.

6. CalLum

CalLum

Dec 7, 2006

A yamaha RBX170 and a Marshall MB30 mkII