Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to check quality of used amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSully72, Aug 6, 2004.

1. RSully72

RSully72

May 31, 2004
    I was looking to buy a used combo. I'm just starting out, but I'm taking everyone's advice that it's better to get equipment you like because it'll encourage you to practice more etc. I figured I could get a better amp (combo) if I bought used.
    I know amps/cabs/combos can sometimes be a tough thing to buy used since people can tend to abuse that type of equipment by playing them at extreme levels and stuff like that. My question is....how does a someone new to this stuff tell what the condition is like?
    I bought a used Fender Bassman 25 off eBay for about $10 more than a Peavey Microbass would cost new. New, the Bassman goes for about $270. I thought it was a safe deal because I get to check it out for a few days, and if I don't like it, I can send it back for a refund - all I lose is the shipping cost to send back. It has a few dings/dents in the cabinet, but it seems fully functional. Man, it also sounds great - fantastic tone...at least to my ears. Although it's definitely not quiet by any means (very audible hiss from a few feet away). What should I check on the amp to make sure it's in good shape. I don't want to end up with something that's gonna poop out on me after a few months. Also, the cabinet is in very good condition except for a couple dents (no scratches or scuffs), which makes me think it was well cared for, but maybe got dropped or something.

Please help! Any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You should try every feature of the amp, whether you will ever use it or not. That means try all inputs, the FX loop (try just plugging a patch cord between send and return), headphone out, ext. spkr out, etc. whatever your amp has.