Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to choose pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hendrikjan, Nov 6, 2005.

1. hendrikjan

hendrikjan

Nov 6, 2005
    Hey hi,

I'm kinda new here .. so .. i'll just barge in like a bull ... ha ah I have been playing bass of and on for about thirteen years now. I own an old Ibanez bass with a PJ config... a model that came out before the SG's and i replaced the pick ups with emg's. I have two volume post and one tone pot... I think the tone pot sucks and i always have it turned to a minimum. The two volume pots are always on full .. and this gives me a nice sound .. but sometimes i think it misses a bit of "growl" (gutter back of the throught) sound.

I have recently started a DIY bass project and I am having difficulties deciding what kind of pups to put in. I have always loved the sound of stingrays ... but i am also a big fan of jazz bass sounds. I play a mix of cotemporary rock. And sometimes use distortian pedals. I play mostly fingerstyle or with a pick, sometimes a bit of slapping.. but nothing noteworthy .. just a slap and a pluck here and there to accentuate some ... I love to play chords ..

The bass I am planning to build.. has an ash body and a maple bolt on neck .. and i haven't made up my mind on whether i am going to go for a rosewoond fretboard or maple .. i have a rosewood fretboard on my ibanez .. but love the feel of the maple fretboard i have on my stratocaster ..

So what i have been thinking of was getting a MM in bridge positiion and a j pup in neck .. and as electronics .. 5 pots .. two volume a 2 band eq. and a tone ..

Is there anyone that has done this or that can comment on my idea .. will i achieve what i want? The possibility of a stingray sound or a jazz sound ... and lots of growl and gutter

And also .. there are so many manufacturers out there .. how to choose ... any help or comment is welcome :)

thanks for reading

hendrikjan

2. If the tone pot sucks, why are you using it to its fullest?

"turning up" the tone dial to full will mean the pot is basically having not (ok ok, very very little) effect on the sound

And look at ibanez ATK400's if you can find one, MM ish style pickup at bridge, J pup at neck, its got a 3 band EQ and only a volume tho, and a selector switch

Dont see the point in a tone volume personally, if you have a 2 band EQ that can cut and boost, then a tone is pretty much surplus (all tone does is roll of the treble when turned down)

3. hendrikjan

hendrikjan

Nov 6, 2005
    i don't use the tone pot ... its always turned to a minimum .. unless that is using it to a max .. maybe i don't understand the working of the pot .. anyway ..

i was thinking two volume pots .. one for the MM pup and one for the jazz pup ... .. and have the EQ go over that .. you are probably right in saying that I can do without the tone pot .. don't really know why i needed it .. just figured .. evry guitar has one so i must have have to ... :bag:

4. Hehe, im sure thats how they work, when you turn a tone pot all the way up, its pretty much doing nothing

But when its on minimum, its doing its thing, its connected to a capacator that saps some of the high part of your signal :)

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

regarding the thread title, basically to choose pups read all the reviews on the ones that fit your routings, and give it your best shot. Obviously whatever else influences you - local guy you like his tone and what he uses, whatever. For MM's the basic tones choices are Barts, ceramic, or alnico. For J's, tone options are basically unlimited.

Don't really understand the tone discussion. If a tone control is in the circuit, the tone pot is always bleeding treble to varying degrees no matter where it's set - so it's always affecting tone.

Nothing unusual about 2 volumes, a tone, and a 2 band harness in terms of active with passive by-pass.