How to choose specific songs for setlist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lfmn16, May 1, 2012.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I must be having a brain freeze because this should be pretty simple. I have some bands I'm interesting in adding to my current band's setlist, but am having trouble figuring out which songs to add. In addition to my liking the song, our band being able to do it well, how do you determine a groups most popular material when it's not radio friendly. Specific examples are Pantera, Korn, Puddle of Mudd, Seether.

I just don't know if sites like epinions and top-ten-lists are reliable.

Of course I'm open to suggestions, but I'd really like to be able to identify a group's popular songs myself so I don't have to keep coming back and asking.

Thanks!

2. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Seems like the type of information last.fm and Pandora would have. No idea if they make it available but it might be worth looking into.

3. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    oh those bands are easy... the songs that have videos shown in those MTV Rock/Headbangers Ball segments are popular.

i.e.

Pantera: cemetery gates, cowboys from hell, this love, im broken, 5 minutes alone ... they have a lot, especially the first 3 albums where their style of metal was at its peak.

Korn: Blind, Ball Tongue, Freak on a Leash, Got the Life, Shoots and Ladders... their most popular stuff came from the 1st, 3rd and 4th albums (i did forget the song titles to the 4th album... although i remember the 2nd song from that CD was played in rock radio all the time - at least here in the Philippines).

Puddle of Mudd: Blurry... and that other song where there are cheerleaders... "she effin' hates me" i think thats one of the lyric there.

Seether: they had one song i saw in MTV... i dont remember it or how it sounds like though.

... hmmm, i just might have ended giving you a setlist

4. I think it's a local thing. Go watch the top 3 or 4 cover bands in your area, and see what packs the dancefloor. That, in my opinion, is what matters most.

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks but I'm not really trying to pack the dance floor. I've gone to see a handful of local groups but didn't see anyone doing the type of music I'm looking for. It's a good idea if you are trying to start a dance band though.

6. "non-dance" band = "non-working" band.
    YMMV

7. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If you're going to go down this path of playing bands like that, it honestly doesn't matter which songs you pick. You're going to at best have a lot of sweaty 30-50 year old drunk guys.

Not trying to be negative, just telling you the truth up front.

There was a glorious time when this actually could work a little bit... in the 90s... and yes, I miss those days very much.

Now it's all about Jesse's Girl and 867-5309. It's disgusting.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Not that I don't appreciate the feedback, but not everybody's goal to to gig every Friday and Saturday night.

9. Scooter09

Scooter09

Mar 28, 2012
    I would have to definitely agree here. These days the most important thing for a cover band is to get the women on the dance floor then the men will follow. If you are looking to just perform music you like, you will be limited to gigs.

I was in a band that played nothing but 90's grunge and we were playing once maybe twice a month to a crowd of 60 at the most.:bassist:

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Could we PLEASE not turn this into a thread on how to be a successful dance band so that we can play every Friday and Saturday night? That was covered ad nauseum in another thread a few months back.

I think that 99% of the people on TB would agree that if you want to play regularly, you have to play dance music.

Thanks
    The band i'm in plays once a month and that's all we want to play. It may be hard for some of the young go-getters to believe, but we're very happy with the way things are going.

11. Search their YouTube and see what comes up.

Those bands are all over the radio... just saw Korn live Sunday and it was sold out in an outdoor venue. Final count was over 2000 people.

Just go on YouTube, and find their music videos. Browse comments and views and see which gets the best feedback.

Or learn 4 or 5, swap 'em up for every show, and put out a request booklet of all the songs you can play. If nobody requests one by a specific band, play whichever one you're feeling, or decide in the practices before.

12. There's a member on here who belongs to a band that does heavy metal covers. I remember Iron Maiden stuck out. I think it was a girl and her name may have been Becky. I saw her playing a Rickenbacker. Talking to them and asking how they do it might be effective. I seem to remember they were fairly popular in their local area.

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This is a bit of a no-brainer, imo. Just play what you want to play. That's pretty important. If you play stuff you DON'T want to play, everyone will know.

Relax, and have fun. Revise your playlist later if you feel the need to.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    BS.

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    thanks for the feedback! There are some really good ideas here.

16. I'd focus on beat and singalong

Play them to a young child and see how they respond (seriously)

17. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I don't think you're right. I always look like I want to play whatever I'm playing, even if I think it's totally boring. Maybe some people are bad at faking sincerity and couldn't pull this off, but it comes very naturally to me.

On the one hand, if you're setting out to play niche market music anyway, like the OP, you might as well try playing a variety of what you like. See which songs get better audience reactions and adjust the setlist based on that. So, I kinda agree with the "play what you want to play" part, just not with the reason for it.

18. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, the real answer was in the first part of the sentence: if you're going down this road, play whatever you like, really. If you're going "against the grain" so to speak, you should play the music that talks to you - and hope that it talks to your audience as well.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021