Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to choose the gauge of helicore hybrid

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by pierre, Jun 7, 2005.

1. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    I decided to buy :hyper: the d'addario hybrid strings
    I play mostly jazz pizzicato My bass is plain wood And my strings are spirocore weich now. I feel those too "metallic sounding" :scowl: and with a not very pleasant touch :rollno: .

which gauge heavy medium or light ?
    Thanks for your answers

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been thrilled with the way the Helicore Heavy guage Hybrids sound. They are thicker sounding than the lights or medium. They are still around the same tension as regular Spirocores(mittels). I definitely prefer the Heavy guage. Almost a different string than the Medium and Light.

3. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    hello adrian
    Are they not to hard to play for the left hand ? I have the weich and they are quite easy for left my fingers, so i'm a little affraid of this word "heavy". What do you thing?

4. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I hated the mediums on my bass, a new Christopher hybrid, and was inspired to try something else all together. I have learned, however, as it has been stated on this site a thousand times, all strings sound different on different basses.

Good Luck . . .

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Heavy Guage Helicores are easy to play. They are about the same tension as Spirocore Mittels. I had no problem at all with them. They aren't near as high tension as you would expect. They are considerable better IMO than the Mediums and Light guage. I found them to have a thicker and darker tone than both of the other guages.