1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to clean a satin finish bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pappabass, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Guys, how do you clean a natural satin finish on a bass?

2. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Since I just purchased a satin finished P bass I'd like to get some tips too, hopefully a little bump to this thread will bring some tips.

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Clean it like a gloss one - a damp rag or paper towel. You don’t need to do it very often, as long as your hands are clean when you play, because you don’t see the fingerprints you see on a gloss finish.

All my basses are satin finishes. I hate gloss finishes - can’t stand the whole fingerprint thing.

pappabass and Mpike like this.
  4. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Any issues over time with shiny spots? I've read a lot about that happening gradually over time.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep: if you play it, they (the shiny areas) will come. big whup. ;)

6. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I know it will certainly happen over time, I just don't want to use a product that will rush the natural process. Just a google search and you find all kinds of wacked out ideas for cleaning, I trust the TB world more.

JRA likes this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

= rubbing/friction, IME.

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    It’ll happen on places where you continually rub the finish, but it takes a few years if it’s a good finish. Even then, it’s not that the finish rubs off, it’s just a bit shiny in that spot.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  9. unresolved

unresolved Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    Mpike likes this.
  10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Shiny spots on satin finishes are either a greasy spot which will clean off, or a polished spot which won't. A mild detergent in water (dish detergent is good) on a rag will remove the greasy spots. Dry it afterward with a clean cloth - t-shirts are good. Do not apply any guitar polishes or cleaners.

BUT, if the satin finish is on a vintage instrument it may be lacquer - gloss originally but has become satin-ized over time. NO WATER on one of those. Perhaps try a bit of naphtha, but test it first on an inconspicuous spot.

Mpike likes this.
  11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    FWIW, I think it is a mistake for Sadowsky to call it "Everyday Polish". For one, I don't think you should use it every day, and secondly it's not a polish, it's a cleaner. Certainly safe to use on satin finishes.

I would not ever use the Music Nomad Detailer on a satin finish. The manufacturer's description of it says "Cleans & Shines & Protects", and that it has "Gloss Enhancers to Give a High Gloss Shine". Shine is not what you want on a satin instrument. The further description says that it's good on satin finishes. Not in my experience. It's a good product and I use it regularly, but never on satin finishes.

Mpike likes this.
  12. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I mostly wipe mine down with a microfibre cloth. If this is done regularly, very little other cleaning is needed. If it’s really grimy, some ordinary guitar cleaning solution (make sure it doesn’t contain any wax or polishing agents) sprayed on the cloth before wiping the bass down will work fine. Shiny spots from wear will appear over time, but that’s part and parcel of having a matte or satin finish.

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    wipe it with a microfiber cloth- I don't use polish or cleaner of any kind nor rub it hard either. polished worn spots are inevitable though over time, can't do anything about that, that just adds to the roadworn mojo finish though.

14. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    My sg is satin finish & has the shiny spot! All my basses have this spot in the same location. Im a finger player and my thumb creates the spot. I don't rest my thumb on a pickup I rest it against the body of the bass. When im playing the A D or G string my thumb is on the E string, when I play the E string my thumb is against the body! Over time the sweat & oil from my skin creates the spot. My only bass not effected is my poly finish fender mustang!

Mpike likes this.
  15. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Try not to overdo it - you eventually will start making it glossy. Nature of the beast.

Mpike likes this.
  16. This stuff is awesome! Don't let the name fool you, it's isn't really wax at all, it's a super amazing cleaner:

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 7.46.59 AM.

It's the only thing I will use on my satin babies, especially if they are painted:

Hot Rod LB copy.

Mpike likes this.