Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to clean a soiled neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by taffae, Dec 15, 2005.

1. taffae

taffae

Oct 4, 2004
    Picked up a used bass project and the finish on the neck has worn down to the bare wood which now discolored because of the grime that has worked its way into the pores. Can anyone recommend a method to clean this up with out bleaching the wood? I have tried various home cleaners and even a deck cleaner, but nothing seems to work.

2. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I have used NAPA BrakeKleen PN 091314 on a couple of stained maple necks with success. Spray enough on a soft rag/towel to really soak it and slowly rub the worn/filthy area. When the rag gets dark, change it. Takes a while. Do not do this unless you are going to sand and refinish the whole neck because some finish damage will occur. Wear gloves or put a folded sheet of wax paper between the layers of the rag.

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    If you can smooth it out with some very fine steel wool and maybe some lemon oil (without wax), you might want to think about just leaving the discoloration. It kind of adds to the sex appeal.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've used Formby's "Build-up Remover" (the green stuff) with good results. You'll be surprised at how much gunk is REALLY on a neck!

5. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    And, I've heard that Formby's Lemon Oil is one of the ones that doesn't have any wax, in case you want to follow the cleaning with a light coat of oil.

6. taffae

taffae

Oct 4, 2004
    I will try some of those ideas.
    Thanks to all.

JT

7. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    JT - Keep us posted. I'm truly interested in how this works out for you. I may be in the same boat myself one day.