Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to clean a speaker cone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by giantjerk, Nov 15, 2003.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Yesterday I found an older 4 12 cabinet. The price was right so I bought it. It looks like it has not been used in years and the speaker cones are caked with dust and other miscellaneous debris.

I have already tried blowing them off with compressed air to no avail.

Any suggestions?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Yum..."miscellaneous debris".. the very stuff that gets me into trouble with my bride when I try to bring used gear into the house:D

I've used a shop vac with the dusting attachment (soft brush like thing). Moving in a circular motion around the cone, it seems to work well enough.

If the surrounds are treated with a tacky material, perhaps some masking tape rolled up sticky side out would help remove debris from the surround.

I would avoid anything wet or damp...

Have fun!!!!

3. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    The speakers are Sheffields. Good old fashioned paper cones and no sticky surrounds.

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Caked on dirt? Bummer, that has to change the tone. And it isn't as if you could scrape it off.........

Sounds like bar gunk...ciggie smoke plus the dust of centuries.

Yeah, vacuum with a brush...might work.

How about plugging in and playing thru them? If it doesn't come off then it probably won't come off with anything short of dynamite and you'll have to live with it.