How to clean maple neck? (ie on my Sterling)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimothy_86, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Hey guys,

I've been playing a lot recently and my neck has picked up a lot of little black bits of dirt and I think it may have discoloured a bit.

Whats the best way I can go about cleaning the neck ready for a gig next week?

Thanks a lot!

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    A damp cloth is the first thing you should try.
  3. I just did this yesterday, and I have no idea if I just ruined my neck.

I took some 409 spray, dripped it on the fretboard, and took an old toothbrush to it. Then dried it thoroughly, then oiled it. It looks great and got all the finger grime right off.
  4. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    Ernie Ball reccomends that you clean maple fretboards with Murphy's Oil Soap. You can pick it up at Walmart. I dilute that in some water and use a tooth brush to clean the neck on my Stingray. She looks as clean as the day I bought her.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What about Lemon oil or juice?
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1 on the Murphy's, I works great, so does a few drops of lemon oil on a rag. EB also recommends that you revitalize the neck's finish occasionally with 'Tru-Oil' by Birchwood-Casey. It can be found in most sporting goods sections, it's used for gunstock finishes.

I found a paste wax at Home Depot that was made with orange oil that worked wonders as a cleaning agent, even better than Murphy's IMO. I can't remember it's name, but I found it where they have waxes and oils for wood flooring.

EB has neck care instructions on their website too.

Best wishes, -A.P.
  7. Yeah, Murphy's oil is made for wood.

So that would be a good bet.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use a wee bit of Windex, very rarely, about a two squirts on the neck then attack it with a toothbrush per Roger Sadowsky. Then I finish it off with regular oil.