How to clean strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Plucky, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    what do you use to clean and polosh your basses, and especially your strings? are there any products, cheapos if possible, and easy to find?

thanks in advance
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A thorough wipe-down of the strings with a soft, cotton, cloth after any playing is all I do for them. I don't plan on keeping them more than 3-4 weeks anyway.

There is a product named "Dr. Stringfellows" which is made specifically for cleaning strings. But naptha is cheaper and does just as good of a job. Naptha gets rid of any crud. But it dries out wood, so following up with something like lemon oil is important if you get it on the wood.

If the bass is a urethane finish, (not tung oil), I use GHS Guitar Gloss or Polish on the finished parts. I won't buy anything with silicone. It penetrates the finish and if you ever need/want to refinish the instrument, you've got problems.

For an unfinished fretboard, pure lemon oil is great. Some super-fine steel wool is worth the trouble to use it before the PURE lemon oil.

On a finished fretboard, any of the instrument polishes work well.
  3. trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    Cloths: specifically for cleaning strings or instruments, purchased from the local guitar emporium. Not expensive and very much worth the price of admission.

Polish: Martin Guitar Polish.

String cleaner: GHS Fast Fret - just wipe it on the strings and wip it off with the appropriate cloth. Won't harm fingerboards and subtly cleans/moisturizes those during wiping, too.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    there should be at least a dozen threads in the archives about what to use to clean your strings, even bass, I know ive seen this posted several a search, as theres no need for another post about it....thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.