how to clean the grime off my wood...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, May 2, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    (warwick thumb w/natural oil finish bubinga body)

can i just use like....pledge? or what? the body is really DIRTY and can't figure out what to use.

2. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know what you use, but I would probably NOT spray pledge on it! Aren't there special compounds made specifically for cleaning guitars?
  3. maybe you should e-mail warwick and ask.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uhhhh ... hhhhheheheh heh hhheheh hhhhhhhehheh ...
  5. warwick wax for the body, fretboard oil for the fretboard. thats what they emailed me. they recomended a thing called guitar honey for the fretboard. I could only find that stuff on the web.

email them if you want more specifics. :)
  6. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Lol, you had the same thought as me I'm guessing :p
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    did that on purpose.

ok, so i HAVE the tin of wax, and i have guitar honey. that's NOT what i mean. that's POLISH/OIL, not cleaner.

but anyways, i found the owners manual online, and it recommended a damp cloth, or naptha, and seeing as how i don't have any naptha i used a damp cloth. it worked ok.

8. "how to clean the grime off my wood..."

Have a shower like everyone else!

Sorry, only kidding, I couldn't help it... minds in the gutter, intelligence of a school boy etc...

I use spit... I figured it was as good as anything else and natural too. Not after eating garlic tho.

9. dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I would definately try the Guitar Honey... I've been using it on my Peavey Cirrus (fretboard and body) about once every couple of months, and it works beatifully for cleaning the wood. There's very little residue and less odor that most of the other cleaner/conditioners I've tried.

I know that strings and things in memphis carries it, if that's close to you......
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Don't bother, just sell it or throw it away. That's what I do with my dishes.
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

guitar honey..for the body? interesting. i'll try that.

12. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Try this this is the passport tech, He can tell you what you need to know.

13. Again I would send them an email, I know they recomend Guitar Honey for the fretboard but I don't know about the body.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well i took a chance and guitar honey'd the mofo.

it restored the sparkle and depth of finsh it had lost, and got rid of lots of the grime too.

i think it worked. i didn't use a whole lot either.

15. dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I'm glad it worked for you..... For the record, I am way anal about my basses, so I wouldn't use anything on the body that I wasn't sure was okay. I will say that I've yet to use guitar honey on anything other than oiled finishes, so be aware.
    For the finishes on my natural BB and my cirrus, it works wonders.