How to clean velvet animas.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by CarterEddy2004, Jan 25, 2021.

1. CarterEddy2004

CarterEddy2004

May 26, 2020
    I’ve got a set of velvet animas but they’re a bit dirty, and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to clean them and get them back to their original luster?

2. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi, Nuno of Velvet recommended toothpaste and soft cloth. It works, I`ve cleaned Animas and Garbos that way. Just be careful and don`t overdo the toothpaste part or let the silk core get wet, those strings are truly fragile.

3. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Reiska tiätää! Yeah it works! And after toothpaste I wiped the excess toothpaste out of the string with a cloth dipped inhot water. And then wiped the strings with a dry cloth...and tadaa...you´ll have shiny Animas :)

Reiska likes this.
  4. First time I've heard of toothpaste... I've used very fine steel wool (works ok) or alcohol on a paper towel (works well, do not let alcohol drip on bass!). I've started looking for my animas replacement but all these recent post are making me want to put my old set back on. I had used animas or blues since 2003. Trying Obligatos now and they are nice under the bow but lack the weight of velvets.

5. CarterEddy2004

CarterEddy2004

May 26, 2020
    How did you like the blues?

6. I only used one set of blues when I was in grad school and money was tighter. I did not like them at first but after about 3-4 months, I liked them very much (but not as much as animas). I remember that they bow a little nicer than animas. I used them for about 4 years then went back to animas.

7. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Scotchbrite pads.