Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to combat that clickity clackity Ergodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    First off, if you hate Ibanez basses PLEASE try to refrain from posting just to bash them. With that said:
    In one of the many threads here on TB that turned into a 'why Ibanez sucks' thread - I read that clicking and clacking is one of the more common problems with these basses. I do have a little trouble with this at times, usaually only on my fourth string - and only when I play certain things. Set up wise my action is fairly low, but I still get the click unless I raise it up way too high - I've found that the best way for me to combat this is simply to pay attention to my right hand attack - but I've always felt something was just not quite right with that click.(that the bass should be more forgiving in this area) Is my bass just destined to be clicky (EBD605) - Is there something more I could do, maybe set up wise, different type of strings or anything at all that might help fight this. Maybe I should just embrace the click as part of my sound and learn to like Korn.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Fret clicks are part and parcel of low action. Play with a lighter right hand attack, or learn to love it. FWIW, I kind of like the clicks, as they bring out the guitar-ness of the instrument; one wouldn't want to sound like a synth all the time.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The only thing to suggest is to soften your attack. I played an Ergodyne, and that's the only thing that stopped "Fieldy's technique".

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Try throwing "click" or "clack" into the Talkbass "Search" function. I guarantee you will find this topic addressed by many as well as myself.

Bottomline - adjusting your action and your technique. I didn't buy it at first, but now I'm a believer.

5. I had the same problem. My problem was that I plugged the strings not parallel to the fretboard, but kind of plugged them towards the bass. If you know what I mean.

6. yep.. i have the same problem..
    that's why i started taking lessons again last summer :)

b.t.w. the clicking has absolutely 0 to do with the brand of bass... i'm getting sick 'n tired of all those anti-ibanez threads.. :mad:

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes, I'm sick of those threads too (in case you couldn't tell)
    Thanks for the info - I understand that it is part set up and part technique --- somebody had said in one of those anti-Ibanez threads that clicking is a problem with Ibanez basses and that's what I was trying to get to the bottom of here, sounds like whoever said that was wrong - good.

Hey Allodox, I was checking out your bass on the Ibanez site, but I couldn't find the two things I really wanted to know - how wide is the string spacing and (if you don't mind me asking) how much do the sell for?

8. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    my personal experience with clicking: i had
    clicking in spades on my yamaha 5, to lessen the
    problem i raised the action a hair, got a new nut and heavier strings. that helped alot. but then i started playing heavir music and a nastier sound was kinda cool, so i got lighter strings, tuned down a step and put my eq in a smiley face and got that old school sam rivers tone goin'. gotta love it. but now i have two basses so i have both options at my fingertips on stage

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I like the clacks and clicks from that thing. gives it life. if you dont, rasie your action, kill some of the highs, lighten your tech. i have my p-bass action so i high i can yank the crap out of that thing with with no buzz or grind.

10. brianmc

brianmc

Jun 7, 2001
    roswell, nm
    yeah, see, i have 3 ibanez and i like them just fine. i have a tr100 my first non pawn shop bass, ergodyne which i bought from my local dealers wife(not drug dealer), and an sr406 which is my main bass now. i have never had too much of a prob with clicking even though i mostly slap everything, but a bit too much treble on my ergodyne makes it click though. my friend josh that used to be in the big christian band around here (hes cool except he left Q and replaced me when i was kicked out, bastard) he sets his EQ to be very clicky which makes me think that the whole thing is more about eq that the bass. he had a fairly even boost on every thing but cut out all of the mid highs to -15 db. he played a tobias though, a pregibson with the 18 volt bartos on it. his setup was as follows : strings 130-50 gauge, action medium low, tuning AEADG, playing style fingerstyle light touch. he also ran through a peavey head and 8x10 cab. i think its more on the setup and eq than the rest.

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Clicking has absolutely nothing to do with what bass you have. If you have a Ibanez Gio or a Spector, you will have the same amount of clicks. It all depends on your action, neck relief, (which can affect action), pickup height, string gauge choices, and right hand technique. If you have low action, it will clack more. If you pluck the strings perpendicular to the bass, they will click. If you have high pickups, they will click. If you use light strings, which have lower tension than heavy ones, the strings will click! The main thing you have to do is fix your technique. If you play with a lighter touch or pluck the strings correctly, your clicking problem will be solved. Also, it is part of the signature sound of the bass guitar to have clicks in it when you play. Feel good about them!