How to compare these amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by constantijn, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Hello there,

I was asked to compare several bass amps for a jam session stage in a pub, because they are going to buy a new backline, but i don't know all of the amps. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about these amps, specially abuot the Fender. These are the ones to pick from:

-Torque 200
    -Trace Elliot Commando 15
    -Peavey TNT 150
    -Ampeg BA 100
    -Fender BXR 200

Thanks for your reactions!

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Welcome to talkbass dude, but youve got to learn to post in the right forum! This is basses, and this shouldve been posted in amps (DONT go post it there, itll be moved for you!). Follow the rules, and youll have a pleasant stay here. :D

Anyhow, of those amps, stick with 1 of the middle three, you cant go wrong with any of them. Ive never heard of the Torque (bad sign), and the Fender is a pure waste of money.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Torque sucks. Badly. And I'm sorry I ever had to experience that.
  4. I'd go with the either the Peavey or the Ampeg. I like the really sound of the Ampeg but I think that the Peavey will withstand more abuse. I've owned several Peaveys and they all were affordable, rugged and they sound decent. I personally haven't heard anything positive about newer Fender amps.
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a TNT 150 that was a rugged little animal, Fell off the back of my truck and worked perfectly after that I traded it in just in case.
    As for tone Zoomboy will vouch for this the little Ampeg sounds killer but it definitly is not as rugged as the PV. PV makes battle bass gear.
  6. Sorry about the wrong place i posted the forum, but i just clicked some links and away it was... Then i realized the category thing, but it seems to work out fine.

Funny thing that no one seems to like the Fender, i was very curious about it, because i did't know it. I also haven't heard of Torque but evidently they who do know wished they didn't..

Thanks for your fast reactions!

7. I'd have to cast another vote for the Peavey. What it may lack in tone, it should make up for in stage volume and reliability. Plus, the things are super easy to use.
  8. I'd watch out for the Fender... .I've got that model. Reliability scores -20. Could just be mine.
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I don't think the BXR series is all that great but the newer Fender Bassman Amps generally seem to be much better than the BXR's.
  10. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    GO look at carvin's stuff. though the shipping might be a bit steep cuz you don't live in the US. Out of the ones you listed, the ampeg will sound the best, but it won't be loud as the peavy. The little fenders suck. I've never heard of torque. The trace isn't bad. I don't have much experence with trace except for trying them in stores and I didn't like the tone. Your profile says you have an swr so I assume you know quality. Also you said the amp was for a bar, or pub, so if you don't like the amp you chose you won't get stuck with it anyway.