1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to connect a DI to amp head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Mar 7, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    [​IMG]

That thee back of my head.

Correct me if I'm wrong
    I go from the Direct Out of my head using an XLR to 1/4 TRS balanced cable into my Radial JDI's input?

How should I set the direct output level?
    Post or pre?
    Ground lift or ground?

One more question.
    I am using this Big Block 750 with a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 cab (8 ohm). How do I connect an additional 8 ohm Mesa cab?

[​IMG]

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Why don't you just use the DI from your head?
    If you want to use the Radial JDI (I have one and like it a lot) then just run your bass to the radial an dthe 1/4" out of th eradial to your amp and the XLR from the Radial to the PA.

3. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    wait, so you're telling me I don't need to use a DI box with this head?

I'm not sure if I understood what you wrote about running my bass to the radial and running it to the amp.

4. Correct... the Mesa DI's sound GREAT. To most closely match the pure tone of your Radial, just set the DI on the amp to 'pre EQ' and set the volume about half way. Don't 'lift the ground' unless you get hum through the PA.

There really is no reason to use the Radial DI with this amp, given the high quality DI built in, and the ability to both lift the ground if there is a problem, and also set the output to 'pre EQ' so you get the pure sound of your bass into the front of house. Of course, if you want some of that tube grind, try setting the output to 'post EQ', but make sure you let your soundman know that's what you are doing... he may dig it, he may hate it!

5. That's exacly what you need to do, Right now want you are doing is sending a DI signal in another DI. An amplifier DI out is not for plugging a DI, it is a DI you send it straight to the mixing board. If you don't like the DI on your head or it has too much noise you then use an external DI box and do not use your DI out on your head.

6. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Cool!

Kjung, by volume do you mean the level?

7. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    great! I'll say goodbye to the Radial JDI for now!

Should I set it to ground lift or ground?

8. Yes... a good place to start with the level is at noon. In some ways, it doesn't really matter, since most decent PA boards have an input pad to optimize virtually any signal strength into the board. However, the noon setting should give you a nice strong signal without getting too crazy. If your sound person says the output is too hot or not hot enough, just adjust that level.

9. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    You have a ton of options for DIing to the PA with that head. You can, of course, use the head's DI. You can plug the Radial in before the amp for just the straight tone from your bass, or through the tuner out, or through the effects loop, or through the slave out.

To connect another cab, you can use the second speaker output on the head (they're in parallel), or you can use the parallel out on the cab. Either will result in a 4ohm load.

10. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    sounds good!

I'll be using the tuner out so thats already taken lol:p

Hey Nick, which way would you recommend?
    speaker out on head or parallel speaker out on cab?

11. First, all these switches will only affect the DI out of your amp, if you use a box they won't have any effect.

How should I set the direct output level?

You want to send a strong signal to the board but you don't want to ovedrive it, When you do a show or record you shold listen to what the soundman or engeeneer says to you, he will tell you when he have a good signal to work with.

Post or pre?

If the switch is post, it means it's after your preamp, your sound is shaped through your EQ.

Pre, it means it is direcly the signal of the bass, you have no control over it.

Usually, live you use the pre because, your eqing might sound good through your cab but it may not through he Pa, if you have too much eq going on, the sound man will have to really mess with his eq settings to get your bass to sound right. He won't liek it, you'll make him waste his time and it might result in an unpleasing bass sound to the audience.

Ground lift or ground?

Usually you don't lift the ground. When you have noise on the line and it is du to a grounding problem, a ground lift might stop it.

12. Per Nick's comment above, both are identical to each other, so whichever way you feel most comfortable. Sometimes, when stacking two larger cabs, your cable will not be long enough to reach the lower cab, so going from cab to cab allows for two short cables versus having to get a longer one. However, power delivery and tone will be identical.

That's a nice rig!

13. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Got it!

Would you recommend pre for recording too?

14. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks, I'll go for the cab to cab option

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    keep the Radial!!
    just keep it in your gig bag in case anything goes wrong. trust me on this. you may need it.

16. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Of course I'll keep it :D
    I might use it for acoustic guitar.

17. It depends, the best is to try it, and if does not sound good post, you just change it. Usually when I recorded I went post or even better, The engineer, miked my cab.

18. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I'll be doing both actually. Mic and direct out.

19. That's the perfect combination for a head that is designed to growl and grind... use the clean pre EQ send for your DI, and then the sound person can mix in the mic'd tone for warmth, effects, distortion.. whatever. Nice!

Yeah, keep that JDI... wonderful DI and it's always good to have a stand alone.

20. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    thanks!
    thats why I love this forum. so much help