Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to connect a GT Brick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Feb 4, 2006.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If I was to buy a Groove Tubes Brick DI/preamp how would I connect it to a poweramp and use it as a DI at the same time? Is this even possible? Could the balanced out be split with a Y-cable somehow? Or do I have to go from the balanced out into an external passive DI box and from there into my poweramp?

Everything Ive read about this Brick is rave reviews and Im really curious. I want a warm transparent preamp/DI without many feauteres as I can´t stom tweeking knobs if there are any...:rollno:

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    bump

3. Usually DI/Preamps have both an xlr balanced out and a 1/4" unbalanced out, that way, xlr to desk, 1/4" to poweramp...

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, but to my knowledge the Brick´s 1/4 output is totally unaffected by the tube sweetness and only the board will get the good stuff. :(

5. they usually have one that is affected, and one that isn't... I can't comment for the Brick though, I've never tried one...

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, the one on the Brick is labeled "thru" so it is unaffected. That is why I ask how to get the affected signal to both the poweramp and to the board.

7. Yeah, I checked it out and I see your problem... strange that they would only have one type of output... I guess you would require some kind of splitter then?

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I have a GT DITTO BOX (basicly just the DI portion of the Brick).

To solve this problem I had a cable made that goes from XLR (female) to 1/4" male.

Now, I also have a mic line splitter to split the signal from the DITTO to the FOH and to my amp.

Like this:

Bass->DITTO->XLR/mic cable (mine is about 2 foot long) ->MIC line splitter (signal is split and isolated from one another- a must have BTW, you can get a real bad buzz that a ground lift will not get rid of)) -> to amp (via XLR to 1/4" cable) & to FOH (standard XLR cable).

If you need me to I could send you a pix as my discription may be a little confusing.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Great. That is just what I was looking for. Where do I get a MIC line splitter? Are they expensive?
    Thanks! :bassist:

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    There are expensive ones and cheap ones (like everything else!!).
    But any good music store should have them if they deal with PA gear.

Look at this one:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Signal/Processors?sku=180627

This will do it fine.

I only use the splitter when there is a PA (FOH) to send a signal to, which is 95% of the time for me.
    Not needed if your using your rig to fill the room. All you need then is the XLR female to 1/4" male cable. You'll need it either way though.
    If I didn't explain, it takes the affected signal from your Brick's XLR and allows you to plug it into your input of your amp.
    Or, plug directly into the return of the effects loop on your amp or "power amp in" input bypassing the pre-amp section totally.

I'm not 100% about the Brick, but my DITTO Box has enough gain to drive a power amp to gig levels. I'm sure the Brick can as well.

Also, I swapped out my tubes for NOS Telefunkin ones and it really made a difference.

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks! I´ll check it out.