1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how to connect a rack and pedals to the amplifier in this particular situation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. BassmanPT, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    this topic is for me to check out with you my possibilities and the most popular/successful ways to connect effects! as a side note, i never played with these stuff before so i figured i need your wisdom here :)

so, having that said, here it goes:

i have a darkglass custom rack ordered, if you want more information on this amazing unit check this topic:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671163

i still do not have the rack with me but since i just ordered 3 mxr pedals and i will probably get those in a few days, i figured i need to buy cables. but the size and number of cables are depending on how i will connect everything. so, a need to plan how i will do this appeared.

so you can judge better what i am talking about, the rack is composed by this:

- compressor > overdrive > pre amplifier

i can turn on and off each "section" but if they are all turned on, they are connected in that specific order!

i bought 3 mxr pedals, octave deluxe, envelope filter and carbon copy delay.

what do you advise to me? how should i connect these stuff? i am thinking and came up with 3 options, feel free to comment on them, explain the advantadges and disavantages of each one, suggest other configurations, etc.

so, here are my ideas:

1) bass > custom rack > mxr pedals > amplifier input

2) bass > custom rack > amplifier input > mxr pedals (using the effects loop)

3) bass > amplifier input > (custom rack > mxr pedals) all in the effects loop

the mxr pedals i believe will be cooler if connected like this:

(octave > envelope filter > delay)

but i digress, i need to buy cables beforehand so i can play when the stuff i bought arrives, how should i connect the custom rack and pedals to the amplifier? hope someone can help me!

i know that there isn't a correct formula for these matters, what might sound good to me might not sound good to you and vice-versa. and nothing like experimenting and i cannot do that because i still do not have the darkglass neither the pedals. but even with this in mind, leave your insight for my consideration.

regards

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the only pedal i'd even consider putting in the loop is the delay. the rest of them all sound like crap to me in amp loops.

if it were me, i'd go bass > envelope > octave > rack > delay > input. i think envelopes and octavers work best closest to the source, while everything else could be moved down the line and not hurt anything. octave and envelope could be interchangeable based on taste and the particular pedals themselves, though.

mind you, this is all my taste and ymmv. but until i got custom cables, i'd buy an ebay bag full of cheapies and make darn sure it's what i liked before i started cutting cable. and who knows? you may even stick with the cheapies...i do ;)

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 effects loops are not designed for instrument level stomp boxes- and should instead be run directly into the amp.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Personally, I would go:

bass --> MXR pedals --> Darkglass rack --> amp

That way you only have one long cable going from the pedals to the rack, instead of one coming from the rack to the pedals, and a second one from the pedals to the amp.

5. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    what is the maximum length i should have with cables?

i know less is better but how much is less?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just figure "what is the least I need to get the job done and still be able to move around". Like say, 15' to 20' from bass to pedalboard, 3' to 6' from pedalboard to amp, and short little patch cords between pedals and between rack units.

7. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    will order 3x 0.15 patch cables and 1x 0.60

it will be enough if i put the rack with the amplifier and the other stuff in the ground.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    good point. didn't even think of that. ya, who wants to go to the rack from the pedals and back out again, only to have to go to the amp yet again. i don't even think it matters to use long cable runs and i wouldn't do that ;)