Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to contact fender's custom shop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 1, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok so ive read and seen about all these guys getting great things done at the fender custom shop. but how do you contact them? i have an old fender bass id like "vintaged". thanks.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm almost certain you can only submit a custom shop inquiry from a authorized dealer - I've never seen any type of web interface.

I also don't believe that they will relic an already owned instrument. You could probably save a few grand and simply take a screwdriver and belt sander to it yourself. ;)

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Custom shop orders are done through Fender dealers.

To make your bass "vintage":

1) Take it to a tanning salon.

2) Chuck it down a flight of stairs.

Results may vary.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i laughed my arse off reading those. however, call me stupid, but woul taking it to taning salon really darken the neck and give that "dirty" look? thanks guys

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Give me a hammer and your bass and I'll vintage it for 5bucks! To me actually "vintaging" your instrument through your use and having stories to tell for each thing is the way to go, but to each his own.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I actually got scammed on eBay for a crappy ebook on building the perfect Telecaster. It had a section about relicing, I'll email it to you if you're interested.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I guess I'll answer that as I came up with that asinine suggestion...:ninja:

Since tanning booths are made for people and people's skin is thinner than the finish on a bass, I'd imagine the finish would not be affected at all unless it were exposed to an absurd amount of rays for an obscene amount of time. I think a person would develop skin cancer before the bass would be affected.

I think BoiNtC has the right idea. vintage instruments are appealing because they've actually had a life, going from one gig to the next with its owner and exposed to the same elements as the player. Leaving your bass out of its case often will increast the chances you'll get some battle scars, but the easiest way to make your bass vintage is to hold onto it for a couple of decades. Sorry, no way around it.

This reminds me of a little joke: a married couple, both sixty years of age, were walking on a beach when they found a bottle. They opened the bottle and out came a genie. The genie told them they could have a wish each.

The wife said "I've always wanted to travel. I'd like to get tickets and accomodations to all countries in the world".

With a snap of the genie's fingers, her wish came true.

Then came the husband's turn. "You know," he said, "I've always wanted to have a wife thirty years younger than me".

With a snap of the genie's fingers, the man was transformed into a ninety-year old!

Be careful what you wish for!;)

8. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
  9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    classic. good stuff guys and gals. well i figured thats the way vintage would really be, but damn...i dont wnat to wait. oh well.