1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to Control Volume Jump

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hjschwartz, May 2, 2015.

1. hjschwartz

hjschwartz

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi, I'm pretty new at using effects so this is probably an obvious question. I have one pretty unusual petal, a reverse engineered clone of a systec harmonic energizer, the one that Frank Zappa used and Les Claypool uses. The problem is, it has a really severe volume jump when I turn it on, and the only way to control it seems to be to turn all the settings way down, which reduces the effect. It doesn't have a gain knob, all the knobs affect the quality of the effect. I'm guessing that I need to use either a compression, volume, or expression pedal, but I'm not sure which or how to set it up. The only other pedal I'm using at this point is overdrive, though I don't usually use them together; I've also ordered a wah wah. What's the best way to be able to use the effect above minimum settings without stopping to turn my volume down as low as possible? Thanks

2. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

Yep,that's a problem. A couple of ideas, one is to get a gain pedal and turn it down, but that might detract from the gain structure of the pedal.

Maybe just an EQ pedal with a volume knob on it to place after your pedal. The Mooer EQ could do this,tiny size too.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd recommend a volume pedal, or an EQ pedal with a volume knob, instead of a compressor. The volume from the effect is boosted by a fixed amount, not dynamic, so you want to cut it by a fixed amount.

SteveCS likes this.
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    For something like this I would use a Boss LS-2 which allows you to control the volume of whatever is in one of two independent loops...

gsquare and Spectrum like this.
  5. What he said ^

The problem with some pedals is that many of them don't have a built-in volume control. The Digitech Bass Synth Wah, for example is one of my favorite pedals for craziness, but there's no way to control the change in volume without some external control, which the LS-2 provides. In practice, though, I have just learned to live with it or work around it.

6. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Haha. I have one of those too. I use the dual outputs and a mini-mixer on the pedal board - allows me to keep my natural bass sound and mix in as much synth as I need. A balance knob would have made that pedal really cool, but hey ho.

Spectrum likes this.
  7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Electro Harmonix makes a pedal called Signal Pad. It's a passive attenuator which can be placed anywhere in your chain - A volume control with an on/off switch.