How to convince wife there is really a need for a second bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jan 14, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    It seems basses get lonely. I have sold off my extra bass stuff and now am down to only one bass and one amp. The bass I have is a j-style that I like very much. I wanted to round of my collection with a p style. Is there any solid foundation of needing a second bass?

My reasoning - One thing is I don't like toting my nice bass around and wanted a beater in a gig bag to bring to my weekly bass class and leave in my office. Right now I have this giant case and it gives me heart burn when I have to run out and leave it in my shared office. Anything else I can use?

Oh yeah, I am selling/sold off my Volvo part collection for this beater bass.
  2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The reasoning behind my robbing of the bank account was "I need diffrent sounds at my beckoning call on stage. So I need something with a different pickup configuration." That's a good one. Even though it was true, it worked to perfection.

Good luck.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Tell her you need different color basses to match your different stage apparel. ;)

Seriously: I *never* gig without a backup bass. And like you said, it's always nice to have a beater bass for general use (and biker bars), along with a nice bass for nice gigs.
  4. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    "I need something with a different pickup configuration." - I like that one.

I need to get my instructor to recommend a second bass for ...
  5. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Heh, I shall be watching this thread with great interest as I am in a similar situation. ;)
  6. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    So I pretty much know now that I am going to buy a second bass (damn eBay!#$@^%). Anyway, how do I cut myself off? Luckily, I sold a bunch of stuff recently so I will use that for the bass. Yikes, luckily I don't have a musicians friend card, I guess a paypal account might be worse. Anyone need Building Rock Bass lines book and CD ;) What else do I have to sell...
  7. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Heh, I had one bass in the music/game room and one in the shop getting refinished, then I just suddenly got three more in the mail all at the same time. She about had a heart attack, but that's one way to do it.

Different sounds at one's beck and call (that's the phrase, man) is decent but sometimes significant others don't think that's a good one.

So I add that a different "type" of bass is needed per sound. =0) (4-string fretted with rounds, 4-string fretted with flats, 4-string fretted with halfrounds, 4-string fretless with halfrounds, 7-string fretted with rounds) - really I just play the warwicks and the conklin, but i can keep the Bird on the wall cause it's cool, and keep the cort at my guitarist's place for practices!

Heh, now I have to have all my pedals and other misc purchases shipped to my office =0)
  8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    It's not how to convince her, it's WHEN!!!
    take her out for dinner in a nice restaurant, dancing or a movie, passionate night as in a first date,... and then...
    No!, that's not the right momment, wait till the day after. Get the coffe ready for her before you go to work, and when you come back home in the afternoon and grab your bass for practise leave the door open and wait till she comes close then show dissapointment in a way she can notice it and when she asks, THAT'S the right momment for all the stories about different pickups, etc.

keep groooovin'
  9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Every time there's a thread like this I reflect on just how lucky I am to be married to the wonderful woman who is my wife. She's 100% supportive of me and my playing, and although she may give a playful roll of the eyes, and in mock exasperation exclaim "Gar-fink-el" (yup...that's what she calls me. She's from Venezuela and it sounds really cute with her gotta be there) every time I bring home a new piece of gear, she's always for whatever makes me happy. :cool:

Here's something you less fortunate (I mean regarding gear purchasing of course) cats might try. If possible, save up twice as much money you need for your next bass. Buy the bass. Bring it home. When she flips out, give her the receipt and the equivalent cash you saved and say "I thought the responsible thing would be to save twice as much as I needed for this bass before I bought it. Here's the additional money. I'll put it into the savings account unless you'd like to take it and buy yourself something you'd really like. That's what I hope you'll do baby, 'cause you really deserve it." :D
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    My wife is great too. She gives me carte blanche to buy whatever I want, as long as I use it.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable request, especially given my tastes tend to run to the expensive end. I mean, if it's a parts bass I picked up on ebay for $100 and refurbished for fun, she's not so bothered if I don't use it much. But an unused MTD 535 would draw comments!
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Thank God I'm just a high school student. :D I'm trying to buy all the gear i can now since i know once college hits it'll be hard enough trying to get the money for new strings.

That's all
  12. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I keep telling my wife how nice an acoustic bass would look with our 1920's original woodwork in the living room. But she doen't fall for that.
    (and I don't need a new bass that urgent)

13. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I just point to her THREE closets full of shoes!:eek: :eek:
  14. I gave up on the pre-convincing scheme and now use the patented post-purchase mop up. If I hide the bass at the practice space long enough she doesn't even know. :)

The key is buy all black basses (or white or what have you) - its like camoflage.
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I´m trying to convince my wife that I need a 7th.:oops:
  16. mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Tell her that you're worried about your good (assuming it's expensive) bass getting stolen at work. In which case you would have to spend alot more money to replace the good one than it would cost to buy a backup. So you're actually saving money.
  17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I tend to cycle through a lot of gear. To avoid the "where's the money going to come from?" argument, I set up a savings account (my gear account) to add to and draw from as stuff comes and goes.

She still objects, but not too strongly. Her fear is more related to bringing bugs/rodents/smells into our home with speaker cabinets rather than with instruments. Everything gets thoroughly cleaned/checked before it comes in, but she still worries...

I try to explain that playing music is an inpsirational thing and different basses inspire me to play differently. The beauty of saying that is that it's 100% true.

18. Thats the oddest thing I've ever heard :)
  19. No no no!! You need to find a luthier that can match the exact wood and grain for the body, neck and headstock to match your floors...that way, you can set it off in a corner and she won't see it! ;)

But seriously, just tell her that you don't feel secure leaving your expensive bass at work when you have to run errands and you would feel far more comfortable with a "less-expensive" bass that would still be great to gig with. For example, check out for a P-style bass.

And my girlfriend is always hounding me that I don't NEED 4 basses (which she can use now, now that I sold one of my Jazz basses! :smug: ) But I really need to sell my Modulus...I'll still be keeping 3 basses...but I'm gonna buy a Warwick 5-er, so I have a 5-er that's of different nature than my Fender-esque other 2 basses. I might pick up a fretless 5 Roscoe LG3005 with a Koa body someday...but that will be a while from now, and will take a lot of convincing to sway my girlfriend...