1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to count this line

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by funkybass, Oct 21, 2013.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I've got sheet music for the school play, and I'm confused how to count this one bar. It's a quarter note, followed by an with note then two more quarter notes, the last one being tied to two eighth notes in the following measure.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    A "with note"? Tied to two eighth notes? :confused:

How about a scan/pic?

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Er... something wrong there, methinks.

I suggest you post a pic, or try recreating it in Noteflight to get it played back to you.

http://www.noteflight.com/info#/individual

4. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    Assuming the "with" note is an eighth note, it's probably an error and the first eighth note in the next measure should be in the first measure. A tied note should never be tied to two notes in the next measure.

5. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    the "tied to two eight" notes" is probably a slur in sequence.
    How do you count it tho? What is the time sig?

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    <-confused

7. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382415122.055686.

Here's a pic of the line. It's in 4/4.

8. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    Looks like you're missing half a beat, ask your director about it. It's probably a misprint.

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Yup, that's a typo...or someone stole an eighth note! :p

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What's that squiggle after the F clef? It looks like a quarter rest, but that puts the error on the plus side (extra eighth note). Unless the error is in the stems, maybe that last quarter is actually supposed to be an eighth?

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Oh and it's NOT tied to two eighth notes, it's only tied to the first one. If you're referring to the other line above the tie, that's a phrasing mark.

12. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I see the F clef, then the key signature, and then a mark of some type that is not very clear. It's possible that it's just a bracket that the copyist is using to separate the key signature from the rest of the staff, but I really can't tell. I think it would help to see a scan of the whole page rather than just the measure in question to see the convention used by the copyist.

13. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

As already noted, you're missing the value of an eighth note there--if you want to suss it out without asking the director, listen to (or look over) the horn parts. It's my best guess--looking at the two accent marks in that bar-- that the missing eighth is at the beginning, and that you're supposed to be syncopated in time with the main melody somewhere else in the band.

14. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    It's actually in cut time. The slash in the c was faded so I could barley read it.

15. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    What show is it?

16. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    How to succeed in business without really trying.

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Why are they putting a key signature in at bar 21 without any kind of double bar? Bad chart.

18. I played this show 30 years ago... which tune? I was a pretty good reader but I was better faker. Figure out what the drummer is playing and the left hand of the piano.

19. HCEarwicker

HCEarwicker

Aug 30, 2013
    London UK
    That 'squiggle' after the clef has GOT to be a hastily scribed eighth-note rest (or quaver rest as we say this side of the pond).

IME, not uncommon to see an eighth-note rest hand-written like that. Whatever, it's the only reading that makes sense - that completes the 4/4 measure. Seems likely from a musical point of view too - it's a pretty common syncopation.

And yes, as Ed Fuqua said, a legato/'slur' phrasing mark (in bar 22) was initially mistaken by the OP for a tie (which ties two notes of the same pitch together).

20. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    ...or is there a dot missing from after one of the quarter notes?

There isn't a similar measure nearby that suggests some sort of repeating pattern?