1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to create an in-ear monitor setup?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by abkbass, Mar 25, 2016.

1. abkbass

abkbass

Oct 13, 2015
    Hi All;

I am new to the forum so I hope this is the right place to post.

I want to setup an in-ear monitor system in order to use on stage. I searched on the web and I read that wired headphones with a headphone mixer are more economic compared to the wireless ones. But I dont know which headphone mixer to chose and also which headphone to chose. And also I dont know how to setup the system on stage so I am here to learn from more professional members how to create a good in ear system.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey welcome to talkbass!

The wired systems will only work if you stand in one place. Will that work for you?

amusicalperson likes this.
  3. abkbass

abkbass

Oct 13, 2015
    Yes that's actually fine. I dont like to walk around that much. But I can also consider some economic wireless solutions too.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Economic wireless = Carvin

As for a mixer, anything with a headphone jack should do.

5. abkbass

abkbass

Oct 13, 2015
  6. Sticky for IEM basics please.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I run a Rolls PM-351 with homemade 20' dual instrument/headphone extension cable.

BassikLee and greggcowanom like this.
  8. abkbass

abkbass

Oct 13, 2015
    I checked that too and thought that can be the best solution. Do any good quality headphones works with that or does the headphone has to be specifically produced for in ear monitoring purposes?

9. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    No, it's only one input and I suggest something with two or more inputs because you might wind up mixing in more than just bass.

Something like this...
    Alto Professional - ZMX Series > ZMX52

or this...(more channels)..
    Alto Professional - ZMX Series > ZMX52

I use this...
    Alto Professional - ZMX Series > ZMX122FX

The first two units are under $100 at Guitar Center.

10. abkbass

abkbass

Oct 13, 2015
    So Rolls PM-351 just lets me hear my instrument? In order to hear all band members do I have them plugged in to one of the devices you suggested?

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It has three inputs. I use one for my bass and one for my vocal mic. I get sufficient ambient sound from the bleed. A third input could be used for a signal coming from the board.

Any "good" headphone/IEMs should work. I get decent results with Schosche IEMs and Comply isolation tips. I also have MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6s. They'd probably work for vocals but are somewhat lacking in the bass department.

12. abkbass

abkbass

Oct 13, 2015

So does it lets you hear the mix of other instruments too?

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Yes, from vocal mic bleed. The best solution would be to run a monitor feed into the third input.

14. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    I use the following for a headphone amp with limiter in my wired setup:

LD Systems 2-ch headphone amp €88
    Headphone cable $8.00
    Mono price xlr cables ($6-20)

Benefit of the LD amp is it has a limiter, which is really important, and it has 2 XLR inputs, so you can take one from your amp and one from the PA/monitor out. I had a X32 board at my last gig and used a y-splitter to take the sound, including my bass and get it in stereo. Very inexpensive, very flexible (DI vs. amp), very little space.

I did the separate mixer like GeriO, but found that most places I played did not have a digital board with a limiter, so I had to have a separate one, which was another $100 on eBay. The LD arrived from Thomann in 3-4 days, so overseas shipping was simple.

EDIT: forgot that I am alone in using IEM's, so I often do not have drums and guitar in the mix. I find that the drums and guitars, especially in a small setting, can be heard with enough clarity through the actual IEM's, that it isn't an issue. It is better when they are mic'd, but it is not essential IME playing small stages. You do get some of them in the vocal mic bleed, but even when the mic's are set low, you will hear them. I use 64 Audio A3's that have about 20db sound reduction, and I can still hear them well. When I had the X32, everyone was mic'd up and I used my iPad to blend levels, and no surprise, I didn't turn the guitars up much at all.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  15. _godspeed_

_godspeed_ Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Vancouver, Canada
    I only used it once live, but Ampeg SCR-DI did it for me! AUX in feed from the console and then just mix it with your bass

BassikLee, Dogbertday and s0c9 like this.
  16. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I use a Behringer P1 and Decibullz ear buds. I zip ties my instrument cable and the for cable for the P1 together so that I can move a bit. Its been a great system. Great sound and clarity. Makes going ampless even easier.

17. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    Westone UM30 for a bassist , most stock in-ears lose bass response .

Carvin Wireless EM900

Lotsa batteries

Good cables to the transmitter from the board.

Feed from a board which can run exactly the mix you need.

It has made me a much better singer, and I don't come home from a gig with my ears ringing .

JPaulGeddy and EdO. like this.
  18. Here's a crude picture of my setup.

hp?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi1084.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj418%2Fbobbybass85%2FIEMSetup_zpsbf5dc9bd.

twocargar and Geri O like this.
  19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I'd recommend saving your $ and buying something nice you can find preowned. The cheaper in war systems are usually mono and have gain and headroom issues. A used sennheiser or better Shure wireless is the way to go. As long as your bands board has enough aux's you're all set

20. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Outstanding illustration.

Especially the Stingray!...:D:D

dralionux and bobbybass85 like this.