Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to customize this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by day2daze, Aug 18, 2002.

1. I just bought this bass and I like it enough to be happy with it, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I could do with it to spice it up a bit, It's the blue one one the right of the screen, the 4 string. It's cool now but I want this thing to be the best I can make it when Im done. You know how it is!

http://www.stringsandthings.co.uk/OLPmodels.htm

2. i guess you could put a new pickup in it.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're really out to "make it the best" you can, that new pickup and something like a Bassline MM Tone Circuit that goes with their MM pickups is the way to go.

Of course, then the electronics will be worth far more than the instrument.

If you're just after something cosmetic that won't break the bank, here's a link to one option http://www.fretware.com/

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    1) Change Pickups
    2) Maybe add a nice active preamp
    3) Change Bridge
    4) Change Knobs
    5) Change Pickguard(if u want to)
    6) Change Tuners
    7) Change the nut
    8) Get a Good setup Job :)

I guess getting a used MM would be better but its okay .. have fun!

DM

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Unless you are sure it is your lifetime's bass, keep it as is. Later, if the MM touch and feel pleases you, probably you'll get a "real" MM StingRay, and your OLP will then be a perfect and non-expensive backup bass for gigs.

However, after 6+ years owning the same 6-string guitar (a Korean Hamer Centaura that perfectly feeds my needs and tastes), I finally decided to customize it a bit. But that's only because I know I'll always keep it.

The only thing you should do right now with your OLP is to have it setup to your taste.

All the best,

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it seems like lately all the cool bassists are putting scrunchies around the necks of their basses, up by the nut. you could try that, keep up with the joneses, and all.

7. I've got a MM Stingray knock off, too. Check mine out Here.

I've also just added a jade green Misfits skull sticker to the pickguard, and have it spraypainted black around the edges (of the pickguard).

8. The cheapest and most effective change in appearance comes from changing the pickguard, however, be warned that very little on an OLP actually interchanges with Musicman. They may look the same, but if you look really close, you'll find the pickguard is different, the bridge is different, near everything is just different enough not to swap straight over.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Belt buckle marks are a very cheap customisation.