Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to cut down carnuba wax build up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Aug 18, 2003.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    a couple of months back I tried some mcguires gold car wax on my Geddy lee sig jazz and I loved the results. I'm about to do it again in about another month or two and I'm wondering how to keep carnuba from building up on the finish.

Build up was the reason for me moving from guitar polish and I don't want to see it ever again!

any suggestions?

2. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    409 and Simple Green are powerful surfactants.

They'll cut wax easily and quickly without harm to your PAINTED finish (do not use on a natural oil-rubbed finish).

However, if you really want to get technically correct, visit an auto paint store and purchase 3M's Wax Remover, Part #03607CS.

Good luck!

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm not sure about the 3M stuff. I heard that using an improper wax remover could result in swirls in my finish! Would the 409 stuff be safe?

4. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    409 and Simple Green are both safe on painted finishes.

The 3M product is safe for auto paint, Ferrari's, and 30 hand-rubbed coats of laquer on streetrods, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a painted guitar finish. (Depending on what it was painted with.)

Good luck!

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    elaborate?

f

6. bkb9091

bkb9091

Feb 21, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I dunno if you'd want to use it on a bass but a Dawn liquid dishwashing soap mixture (diluted in water like normal car washing soap) is what a lot of people use on cars to get rid of all their wax.

Of course you'd have to be careful not to get your electronics wet...so maybe that isn't such a good idea. You could use a terry cloth that's slightly damp with the solution or a small sponge or something. Just a thought.

7. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I was getting a fine white residue that would attract finger prints. now there's only nice black shine but may get a little finger prints when it is humid. the shine looks much better clearer too scince I've stoped using the guitar polish.

I was told that it was finish build up.