Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to cut through?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Well I'm in a show choir at school, and the band has three guitar players and a keyboard player. I don't want to be greedy, but three guitars is always a crowd, especially with a keyboard player. Anyways, gripe aside, is there anyway I can have myself be heard without drowning out everyone else, or should I just give up and have everyone feel the bass rather then hear it?

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    theres nothing wrong with feeling the bass rather than hearing it, but adding some hi mids around 800hz shouldnt hurt either :D

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Mids man, if you want to "Cut" use some mids.

4. I figured mids would work.

Its probably a little more friendly then my other way of being heard... (unplugging the guitar amps :D :D :D)

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Good one.

6. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Mids as everyone has stated.

Also, use a pick for a sharp attack.

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    From a stylistic standpoint, I think it helps to economize your lines more than you might normally do when playing with three guitarists. By allowing more space in your lines, it makes the notes you do play that much more effective. Mids help a lot, too.

8. Buy a bigger amp. :D

9. I'm not exactly a proficient pick user, but I might try that out.

I think that might work. The director gave us sheet music to work off of (actually, its for the piano) however, I don't know if there's any room for personal style. I do like the Sting approach, though.

I don't want to drown everyone out (welll, I kind of do, but the director wouldn't be very happy...)

10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    It's important to communicate with the other musicians.

1) Get the keyboardist to restrict playing to the higher keys - a lot of keyboardist tend to automatically double up with their left hand to do keyboard basslines - no need for that as you are there to fill that gap.

2) Get the 3 other guitarists to stick to the higher registers too. Why so many guitarists? I assume one is acoustic, one is rhythm and one is lead.

3) Like the other posters said, make sure you are mixed well by the PA people. Get your mids up. But don't lose the bottom end.