1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to "Date" a StingRay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I came across a Stingray that the store claims was built in 1979. The body has been repainted with an oh-so-tasteful naked lady that can't be fully hidden with the pickguard. Everything else seems solid with the usual wear. The price seems kinda low (~800 before haggling). Is there a way to verify the date of manufacture, short of removing the neck? I thought I remembered that the body contours were different on older models...am I nuts? Would I be better off buying a newer model for the same price? Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I tried to date a stingray once, but the input was a little small. :D

The repaint would be a big turnoff for me. I think I'd go with a newer model.

3. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Is she hot? :) (the girl)

4. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    well, pre EB's have the string tree between the D & G strings while the EB's have it between the A & D. yeah the preEB's also have a slab body. meaning no contours. if it's a '79 well, i think the string could go through either the body or bridge as i believe that that way a transition period.

also: check out this site. very helpful.
    http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/TOWN8019/

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Serial numbers will get you close, check out the musicman forum over at the dudepit ( www.thedudepit.com ). There is an awesome serial number registry over there that will get you right close.

The earliest models had a 3 bolt neck, and string through body. That may, or may not have those features for a 79. I'd think the serial would be B00, or B01 for that year, check that registry to be sure. Price aint bad for a refin either, much cheaper should be a heck of a good deal.

6. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    the link i gave was to the serial number registry of gav (Rod Trussbroken).

i forgot about the 3 bolt. that shoudl definitely be there. '80 was the transition period to the 4 bolts.
    yeah i agree with the good price on it for a refin.

7. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    And whatever you do, when you are out with your Stingray, don't let her catch you looking at another bass! ;)

8. Thanks guys.

Mike